• You cannot reply to this topic

Bane (a Team Story)

#26 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 March 2002 - 08:39 PM

Whoops! I just posted with my brother's account! Posted Image

I'm using his comp and didn't notice his name was already in there. Oh well. >_<;;

-Kat

------------------
Fee, fi, fo, fum, I smell the blood of an Englishmuffin.

#27 User is offline   Lequis MX 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2002 - 12:38 PM

You'll have to forgive this, this is my first TS post--- about my 3rd on the Cythera board, if not the second...It's probably really bad, and towards the end it gets really fragmented, but...oh bah, forget it. Posted Image

-----------------------

“Ah, so lonely...”
Sicias sighed as she walked into her father’s study. He had left earlier that day, and left Sicias with nothing but his words, which now somehow seemed trivial and as empty as the house in which she was wandering around in. He was going to investigate an odd magical phenomenon. Sicias herself was little of a sorceress, and thought little of it, though her father was a well-respected mage.
The study was a small rectangular room in their house in Cademia. The walls were mostly covered in bookshelves, whose contents were primarily old spellbooks and various history books of whatever sort, many of whose contents’ purpose had been lost over time...
“Lycial, what would I do without you?” Sicias picked up her cat and carried it over to her father’s desk, where she sat. Lycial hopped up onto the desk’s surface and walked around for a few moments before jumping back onto Sicias’ lap and curling up, asleep.
“I wonder where father is,” the girl wondered, looking at the desk curiously. He had informed her that he would return after investigating a ‘disturbance’ somewhere in the land of Cythera. “Let’s see...”
She touched a slim leatherbound volume that was sitting on the desk and moved it to the center. Both the desk and the book felt unusually cold.
Sicias picked up Lycial and walked to a corner of the room. “There must be a draft in here. I think it’s coming from here...but this is just a bookcase.” She gently deposited Lycial on a shelf, who mewed and walked around curiously looking around at the mysterious old volumes.
“Odd...there’s a book missing. Two, unless...” Sicias trailed off as she peered into the gap between the books. Oddly, there was not, as elsewhere, a wood panel behind this gap, but what looked like smooth stone. Sicias was familiar with most parts of her house, however there were always strange things about it. She stared in awe at the dark blue stone, which was emblazoned with a strange crest.
Sicias looked around instinctively, although of course, there was no one in the room except herself and Lycial. She pressed her finger gently against the mysterious tile, which felt incredibly cold itself, and it slid aside to reveal several more books. She pulled each one out-- there were about five in all.
Curiously staring at them, she attempted to open one, but found that it had some sort of magical seal, in the form of a miniscule metal symbol similar to the one that had been on the tile.
“That’s odd...”
However, rather than putting them back in the ‘box’ where they came from, Sicias took them and set them on the desk. Lycial hopped down onto the floor and walked over to her, who stared down blankly for a few moments, before taking the books and putting them in a shoulderbag situated on the floor.
Sicias again sat at the desk, staring at the books inside the bag. She looked up, vexed, and blew out the lamp, as if pondering something very hurriedly.
The girl paused for a moment, analyzing. ‘I wonder who is in town now?’ Sicias thought to herself. ‘I think I need to talk to someone about this...maybe the tavern. I can usually find someone...’
She looked out the window at the street below and then to the sky. It was a turbulent, disturbed, sad gray...
“Lycial, I’m not sure if I’ll be back,” Sicias said. She picked up the cat and looked at her fondly as she walked out of the study. “I will send someone here to check on you if I am not.”
She took the bag, put on a dark green robe, and went out the door. The tavern was less than 100 metres away from her house; it wouldn’t take long to get there.
Sicias walked into the tavern. The cheery warm atmosphere was a drastic contrast to the gloomy, stagnant outside. Looking around, she found a large group of people congregated around a small table. She was suddenly stricken with a curious unfamiliar feeling of worrying despair.
Recognizing some of her friends there, she approached one of them from behind. A figure, seemingly hidden by the others there, appeared to be explaining something. She caught a few fragments of conversation...something about a quest? Perhaps she would get more than a chance to explain the odd incident in the study. Adventure, maybe, something Sicias had always longed for.
Sicias noticed a girl who appeared to be about her age sitting alone at a table – Sya. She was staring sideways with a slightly annoyed look on her face.
“Sya!” she said cheerfully, sitting down next to her.
Sya’s somewhat irritated expression immediately dissolved into a smile as she saw who it was.
“Sicias. What’s up?”
“I- well- first, what’s going on here?”
Sya shrugged and briefly explained the situation. Sicias listened, interested for more than one reason. “If you need to,” she pointed towards the table around which most of the people were standing. “Ask one of them.”
“Sya, do you think I could... come with you?” she asked hesitantly. Sicias explained the situation with her father, which was only vague to her own knowledge, but she was sure it had something to do with this.
“Sure, Sic, I guess so. You should probably go talk to Trinias, though,” she replied, gesturing in the direction of the other table. “I’m not sure what’s going on myself, but, well, I guess we’ll find out soon enough, I guess.”
“Sya, um...”
“Yeah?"
“Never mind,” she muttered, turning away. Shortly after this conversation she went to try and pick up some of the content of the conversation at the other table, evidently most of which she had missed.
Sicias wondered at her inability to express herself fully. She had planned on telling Sya about the books, but perhaps that could wait. Either way, she hoped to have a better explanation of everything...

-----------------------

Heh... Posted Image

-Nat

------------------
Lequis Design
lequis.netfirms.com
PhantoM_63ff@hotmail.com
if you start to take vienna, take vienna.

#28 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2002 - 06:58 AM

*Come on, people, vote! If you don't, we'll never get anywhere... either that, or somebody will just decide, and then it'll be too late to change it if you don't like the decision...........*

Shi, sleeping peacefully, didn't notice anything of the conversation around her. It wouldn't have mattered much to her, either.... as long as it was interesting and exciting, she wouldn't complain about *how* they made their journey.

------------------
As l lay in my bed staring at the sky I asked myself:
Where the hell did the roof go?
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

#29 User is offline   idiotSavant 

• Odysseus
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2002 - 03:33 PM

Several glasses tipped over as Brink leaned over the table. "Harper, I don't understand how you can't see that sailing would be better!" yelled Brink

"Surely you can realize the overall trip would be shorter to travel in a near straight line? You can not do that when sailing"

"But when get there, then what will we do, eh?" repied Brink

"We always seem to find something, don't you agree?" said Harper with a smug look on his face

"But nothing is certain! Besides, sailing is safer!"

Harper restrained a laugh. "How about I tell you some of the stories I've heard about sailing and what happened, eh?"

Brink dismissed the comment with a wave of his hand. "Myths!"

"Uhuh" said Harper, voice dripping with sarcasm

"We'll finish this over glass of coffee …"
------------------
"I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis."
-Zaphod Beeblebrox
When I'm bored, my post number goes up.

[This message has been edited by idiotSavant (edited 03-24-2002).]
I am not your rolling wheels / I am the highway / I am not your carpet ride / I am the sky / I am not your blowing wind / I am the lightning / I am not your autumn moon / I am the night

#30 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2002 - 06:39 PM

Since I'm going to be away this weekend, I was going to give things a kick forward tonight; but since at least idiotSavant has sort of said he'll post tomorrow, I'll leave it until Monday. You all still need to vote, though - otherwise I'll just make a decision, and as Moonshadow said, we'll all be stuck with it Posted Image

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#31 User is offline   Overmind 

Posted 24 March 2002 - 10:56 PM

Staring around at the group that had gathered, Trinias saw nothing but indecision and disagreement. He wished he had Flynn's gift for making decisions that seemed sensible, and that everyone agreed with; he made it look so easy. He sighed.

"Something wrong?" Brianna sat down beside him, holding the pack with the sleeping phaerie protectively in her lap. She'd taken the time to change into her familiar travelling clothes when she'd fetched the pack for Shi to nap in - the green tunic, breeches and boots - and her quiver and bow were leaning in one corner.

"I was just wishing I had Flynn's gift for snap decisions," Trinias replied.

"Well, someone has to decide," she responded. "Why shouldn't it be you?"

"You really have no preference?"

"None at all. How could I, not knowing what we'll face?"

"I suppose that's the same problem everybody's facing." He sighed again. "I guess you're right, it's up to me."

"Don't worry, you'll do fine." Brianna smiled brightly, and squeezed his hand. Trinias nodded, grateful for her encouragement.

He got to his feet, and cleared his throat. "All right everybody, so far we have one for sailing, two against, and the rest undecided." He paused, staring down at his feet for a moment, trying hard to think. "OK, what I propose is this: we go by land. It's the quickest way, and we may find that there's no need of a ship after all; but if there is, then it's a short enough trip back to Cademia or some nearer fishing port to find a boat. Does anybody have objections?"

He slowly looked around the attentive faces, trying hard to guage their reactions. Sya's expression was filled with relief, and Harper's, triumphant satisfaction; Brink scowled for a moment, then nodded grudgingly. Everyone else just seemed glad that someone had finally fronted up and taken the decision out of their hands.

"All right, then, that's what we'll do. If nobody has any last minute things they need to take care of, we might as well get underway; it's fairly late in the morning, but I'm sure we'll find lodging at Pnyx, tonight."

-------

"Finally, we're moving!" Trinias thought to himself, as he looked around at the group that had volunteered for this mission: Brianna, Sya, Sicias, Indigo, Brink, Harper, Larc, Ferazel, Alpha, Violet and Rulir - and of course, Shi, napping in Brianna's pack. They were keeping up a good pace, and he saw no reason why they shouldn't be safely in Pnyx by nightfall.

Trailing along behind them, trying hard to stay out of sight, Razmalak counted his blessings that they'd opted to travel by land - it made it so much easier to keep track of them.

------------------
I will classify my lieutenants in three categories: untrusted, trusted, and completely trusted. Promotion to the third category will be awarded posthumously.

<edit> Oops, forgot Ferazel! Posted Image </edit>

[This message has been edited by Overmind (edited 03-26-2002).]
I will classify my lieutenants in three categories: untrusted, trusted, and completely trusted. Promotion to the third category will be awarded posthumously.

#32 User is offline   Aben Zin 

• Safety Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2002 - 04:36 AM

After the initial relief that the group were traveling by land, Razmalak soon found fresh things to worry about. They were clearly headed for Pnyx. Evil Sorcerers were far from welcome in Pnyx (even apprentice ones). This was not a good thing.

Another worry was that if they later did have to go by boat Razmalak would be extremely hard pushed to follow them. Razmalak was the kind of person that would get seasick in a rowing boat, and he knew it. This was also not a good thing.

Yet another worry was that Razmalak had absolutely no idea what he was getting himself into. Admitedly, the heros had only slightly more idea than him, but the key point was that they were heros, and could probably take care of most problems they encountered. Razmalak was not a hero. He wasn't even much of a student.
This thing was probably an even worse thing than the last two of those things...

On top of this the party were a good deal fitter than he was, and he had a stitch...
___
OOC: I'm off on Holiday for a while now, should be back in a week and a half or so. Try not to kill Raz off...

___
Az

------------------
___
"...And Alexander wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."

[This message has been edited by Aben Zin (edited 03-27-2002).]
___
This space to be left blank

#33 User is offline   Overmind 

Posted 28 March 2002 - 04:53 PM

As the team walked along, Trinias noticed that Brianna kept glancing behind, a look of indecision on her face. After one such glance, she noticed him watching her. She pointed back over her shoulder. "Do you-"

Before she could finish, Trinias smiled, nodded and winked. He wandered closer to Sya, where she was chatting to Sicias. "Sya, how have your 'awareness' lessons with Moonshadow been going?"

"Quite well, I think - why?"

"Oh, just curious," he replied, a cryptic smile playing about the corners of his mouth. "I trust that you've been keeping up your practice, while she's been away." Without waiting for a reply, he moved off to chat with someone else.

Sya stared after him, looking decidedly confused.

------------------

#34 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2002 - 10:07 PM

Sya watched Trinias, mulling over what he had said. What did he mean, keeping up with her practice? Of course she had been practicing. It would be easier with Moonshadow around, but she was very eager to get back some of her elven skills.

Speaking of which, maybe she should practice as they were walking. Sya closed her eyes briefly to gather her concentration, then dropped back about ten feet from the rest of the group. She smiled. It was a bit quieter back there.

Tuning her pointy ears in to her surroundings, Sya listened first for the normal noises- birds singing, the noise of people walking and the chatter of their voices. She could hear a brook trickling somewhere in the distance.

Sya tried to pick out the sounds of each person's footsteps. She didn't expect to be able to. Moonshadow had told her not to worry about individual people yet, but she wanted to try anyways.

Frowning, Sya could hear something behind her. It was very quiet, just barely a noise- but there was something back there. She turned around and peered back down the pathway. Her sight wasn't great yet- she had mostly been working on her hearing.

Sya listened as she walked, blocking out the other noises from her mind. Footsteps- human, by the sound of it. Were they being followed?

She slipped up to where Trinias was talking with Brink. She gave an apologetic glance to Brink, grabbed Trinias's sleeve and dragged him back a few feet. Trinias looked at her. "Yes?"

"I think somebody's following us," Sya whispered. "I heard some footsteps."

Trinias smiled. "Oh, so you are keeping up with your practices! I had a feeling you might try that after I asked you. Yes, I'm aware there is someone following, but I'm not worried about it yet."

Sya bit her lip disbelievingly, but decided not to press it. She figured Trinias knew what he was doing.

As Indigo walked, he noticed how nice it was to be outside on a journey again. Checking on his nunchuks and bag of throwing stars, he smiled. Maybe he'd get a chance to use them.

Indigo glanced around. The path remined him of the roads leading out of Riam. He thought back fondly to his hometown, but he was after all a traveller at heart. Shrugging, he quickened his step to go talk to Larc.

------------------
"No, Reepicheep, you may -not- attempt single combat with it!"

#35 User is offline   idiotSavant 

• Odysseus
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2002 - 10:55 PM

Brink plodded along slowly, near the end of the pack, feet moving on their own accord. His face was one of a person with a problem, or at least puzzlement. Harper didn't notice, for he was in engrossed in a conversation with Trinias, inquiring about the bow. As they continued on, Brink seemed to get more edgy and in deep thought. He mumbled half words and gave strange looks at anyone who seemed to want to inquire. (And now class, we go into the mind of Brink, example A, a man with a problem)
"It must be but a rumor, he would not dare to return! We had an agreement. How could Lindus not see through this scheme? And why, why was he back, to haunt, to blackmail, WHAT?!"
Anger now showed on Brink face, and it was not a pleasant sight. The anger seemed to take utter control of his face, turning it from passive to a look of sheer hate, which seemed to affect all of Brink, making him transform from his normal self to a desperate killer, who'd do anything to protect himself, regardless of the results, turning his walk into a fast furious march, footsteps producing deep footprints and loud noises that caused most of the group to stare. All they got in return was a fierce scowl. Brink quickly pulled ahead of the pack. As he drew out of hearing range, the lot seemed to turn to Harper for an explanation. Brink's past seemed to come back to haunt him, but trying to fight it with a sword just wasn't working…

------------------
"I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis."
-Zaphod Beeblebrox
I am not your rolling wheels / I am the highway / I am not your carpet ride / I am the sky / I am not your blowing wind / I am the lightning / I am not your autumn moon / I am the night

#36 User is offline   Overmind 

Posted 29 March 2002 - 07:01 PM

Trinias exchanged a puzzled glance with Harper, then picked up his pace. He jogged up to Brink, leaving the rest to follow as they wished.

"What's up, Brink?" he panted. Brink just stared at him with that same strange expression. Trinias slackened off his pace, waiting for the others to catch up.

"What's going on?" Brianna queried, as she approached - keeping a steady, comfortable speed, as a ranger should.

"I don't know," Trinias replied. "I guess we'll just have to wait untli we reach Pnyx. Shouldn't be more than a couple of hours more, now."

"Good," Larc panted, not having had the sense to pace himself conferred by Brianna's ranger training. "It was rather sudden, and I'm exceedingly curious!"

"Me too," Trinias responded, staring vacantly ahead. He took a deep breath, refocussed his eyes, and took a quick tally. "OK, we're all here - let's get moving again."

True to Trinias' prediction, within two hours they arrived at the gates. The sun was just beginning to set, painting the sky a brilliant orange with it's dying light.

"Do you know Brink, and has he entered Pnyx?" Trinias unceremoniously demanded of the guard.

"Yes, to both questions," the bemused guard replied. "He stormed past here like he owned th place, didn't even stop to say 'hello'!"

"Thanks," Trinias replied. "We'd like lodging for the night; I suspect Lindus is expecting us."

"Indeed he is; go right in."

The adventurers entered the architectural marvel of the magesterium. "We should see Lindus straight away," Trinias said.

"You go ahead," Brianna replied. "I'm going to see if Grandfather is here."

Trinias nodded, and lead the remainder of the team to Lindus' quarters. He knocked loudly.

"Come in!" came a faint voice from within. Trinias entered, followed by the rest. The first thing they noticed was Brink, sitting in a comfortable armchair. It appeared from his expression, that he was still quite disturbed.

"Hello again, Lindus," Trinias greeted the old mage, shaking his hand. He pulled up a chair, and turned to Brink. "Are you ready to talk, yet?"

------------------

[This message has been edited by Overmind (edited 03-29-2002).]

#37 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2002 - 06:35 PM

After a short while, movement within the bag indicated Shi was waking up, and not long afterwards the Phaerie opened her sleeping bag, rubbing her eyes.
"Did you sleep well?" Brianna asked, smiling.
"Yes!" Shi said, looking around curiously at the unfamiliar surroundings. "Where are we?"
"In Pnyx." Brianna replied, opening the door to a study.
"Pnyx?" Apparently, that told Shi next to nothing.
"The magisterium."
"You mean that place where the mages live? The big pyramid by the sea?"
"Yes." Brianna nodded, looking around the empty room. "I wonder where Grandfather is..."
"He is here?" Shi's face lit up at the thought. The Scribe was nice, and he didn't mind her chattering, unlike many other big people Shi'd met - and some small people, as well. Cairlinn, for example - "That reminds me! I have an invitation!" She fiddled with a bag on her belt, retrieving a tiny, sealed scroll from it. "It's for your Grandfather. I told Cairlinn about him, you know, and she gave me an invitation." After having shown the scroll to Brianna, Shi put it back and climbed out onto the half-elf's shoulder. "So, where - oh right, you don't know! I guess we should start looking then, right? You know, I think Cairlinn's really interested in meeting him... and maybe she knows something about this anti-magic thing - she's one of the oldest Phaerie alive, after all."

------------------
As l lay in my bed staring at the sky I asked myself:
Where the hell did the roof go?

#38 User is offline   Overmind 

Posted 02 April 2002 - 05:21 AM

Knowing her grandfather's habits, Brianna first headed for the library. Shi flitted about her, inspecting anything and everything that caught her attention, from the people in the dining hall to the purple light crystals mounted on the walls.

Once in the library, Shi flew slowly along the aisles between the cramped shelves, mouth agape; she'd never in her life seen such a store of knowledge set down on paper - phaerie libraries weren't unknown, but on the whole they depended more on word of mouth to pass on knowledge.

Brianna hunted about briefly, finding Selinus without too much difficulty.

"The Scribe?" he replied to her query. "Yes, he's been here a lot, lately; but I believe he's currently visiting the Sorcery Tower. He always returns at night, though - come to think of it that won't be long..." His voice trailed off, as he realised he was talking to thin air, a faint 'thank you' wafting back to him on the breeze of Brianna's departure.

Shi glanced up as Brianna swept past her down the aisle; she quickly darted in pursuit. "Where are we going now?" she asked, once she was close enough to speak into Brianna's ear.

"Grandfather's room; he should be here before long, but I don't want to wait."

Brianna knew the way, and it wasn't far from the library; they were soon inside, with the door locked behind them.

"I don't get it," Shi protested. "We're here now; but we'll still have to wait, won't we?"

In answer, Brianna just smiled, sat on the bed, and closed her eyes in concentration. After a few seconds, she opened them again, and slowly let out the breath she'd been holding.

Shi took a deep breath, about to launch into a barrage of questions, when a bright white light filled the room. She lowered her arm from her eyes as it faded, and beheld the Scribe standing in the middle of the room.

"How nice to see you again so soon, my dear - and miss Shi'nayne, too! I'm honoured!"

Brianna hopped up and pulled the only armchair in the room into a position where it faced the bed. The old elf sank into it gratefully, and Brianna once more sat on the bed, cross-legged. Shi perched on its edge, where she could easily see both her friends.

"Have you any further news for us, alcarin taradar'ûn?"

"No, I regret to say. There are some hints that I'm following up, but nothing definite as yet."

"In that case, I believe Shi has something for you."

Taking her cue, Shi hopped up and flew over to perch on the Scribe's knee. She held a tiny hand to her mouth and coughed for effect.

"Honoured sir, the honourable Cairlinn bids me present you with this invitation," she said formally, and handed him the tiny scroll with a curtsey.

"I receive it with thanks, my tiny friend." He carefully took the small scroll from her hands, and she hopped backwards to settle on the edge of the bed once more. The Scribe pulled a magnifying glass from some pocket of his tunic, carefully opened the invitation, and equally as carefully read it.

"So, Cairlinn would like to meet me? I'm doubly honoured!"

"Yes, and she might know something about this 'anti-magic', too!" Shi responded excitedly.

The Scribe eased himself to his feet. "Very well - in that case, I accept!"

As he said the words, a green aura surrounded him, grew brighter, and vanished - taking him with it. Brianna stared at the spot where he'd been standing, then tore her gaze away to look questioningly at Shi.

"Well, it was a phaerie invitation," Shi explained - patiently, for her. "So of course, when he accepted, he went!"

------------------

[This message has been edited by Overmind (edited 04-02-2002).]

#39 User is offline   idiotSavant 

• Odysseus
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2002 - 06:29 PM

Brink’s face reddened slightly. “ Ah, yes, sorry about that back there…” he replied. He still looked uncertain if he should tell them what had been going through his mind. “I’ll just make some coffee before I tell my story…”
The group stared at him. “Fine, I’ll have it after…” Brink sat back down. “It started many years ago, when I was still a mercenary, in Kosha. Then one who I believed to be a friend framed me for a crime I did not do! My friend knew many of the higher order and got me thrown in jail. I could only get out if I could afford my bail, which I could not. So I sat, in a cramped cell, always under the eye of a watchfully warden. I could feel his cold stare no matter where I sat. I’m sure he longed to kill me and waited for me to make a wrong move. I have no doubt he was hired by my former friend, or at least on his pay roll…
And there I sat, for days, for months, I lost track. On about the sixth month or so, a change over came the jail. I spent time in thought and plots, and delirious thoughts of revenge. I thought of escape too, but soon gave up. The walls were of stone and the door of hard wood and with the warden sitting in a chair across. The door might be opened if I had a sword, but I hadn’t even a pen knife!
Here Brink got up for a drink of water and then continued. “ Needless to say, I got out of jail after a while and set myself up in trading. I switched identities since the Kosha mess, and I dare say you could find out my true name easily enough. You may ask why I tell you all this, as it appears to have little to do with our quest. It is worth noting that my enemy disappeared shortly after I got out. However, just recently, I was informed, my “friend” is back and living at Pynx! And I am going to see why…”
With that, Brink left the room, in a hurry.
Lindus rose up quickly and followed.
***Shortly after, in hall***
"Brink, I fear you shortened your story far too much!" cried Lindus, still near breathless from his run to catch up to Brink.

"I'll tell them the rest when the time is right." answered Brink

"Brink, old friend, do not do anything rash! Do not fall to his level!"

"I will deal with this shortly, Lindus."

"I do not think it wise…"

Brink interrupted him. "But something must be done and fast. I feel that if he is allowed to continue this, worse will happen.

"I suggest, Brink, that your make sure that you don't do something worse."
The sound of footsteps drew near.

"We will talk of this more before you leave here, Brink."
With that, Lindus drew away and walked to his room.

------------------
-Zaphod Beeblebrox

[This message has been edited by idiotSavant (edited 04-02-2002).]

#40 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2002 - 09:13 PM

Trinias sighed and looked at the door through which Lindus had just exited. "Well, I suppose we ought to go find Lindus again to arrange for some lodging." He stood up and gestured to the others to follow.

Just outside the door, though, they were stopped by a young mage. "Oh, I was just coming to look for you," she said, "because I saw Lindus talking to Brink. He asked me to come get you. Anyway, Lindus was expecting you so rooms have already been arranged. But before that, what about some dinner?"

Trinias nodded. "Thanks, that sounds great!"

After they had all been fed and shown to their rooms, Sya sat on the bed thinking to herself. She really hoped they got to do something interesting soon. Pnyx was all very well, it was a nice place, but there wasn't anything to do.

Sya flopped back onto the bed and stared at the ceiling. She wasn't in the least bit tired, even after walking all day. It was a sort of nervous energy and she had no clue where it came from.

She wondered what had happened to the person who had been following them. Was he staying in Pnyx too? Doubtful. Maybe he was sleeping outside and would follow them tomorrow.

Something thumped against the window. Sya sat bolt upright, then looked outside at the darkness and calmed down slightly. Probably just a bat.

Standing up and walking over to the window, Sya peered outside and tried to see through the darkness. She could just make out dim outlines- it wasn't completely dark yet. Returning to the bed, Sya sighed. She was bored and there was nothing she could do. Even if she had been inclined to go outside, it was too dark to really do anything and she'd probably be stopped by somebody before she got out.

Looking around the room, her eyes fell on a small painting hung up on the wall. It was pretty- a forest scene, with lots of evergreen trees and birds flying around. Looking at it reminded Sya of her bow. Leaning over from the edge of the bed, Sya picked up her bow and studied it. The wood felt strange in her hands- a sort of warmth seeped through her gloves into her skin.

Sya sighed again, remembering what Trinias had said about it possibly having magical powers. She had really hoped it would, but so far it hadn't shown any sign of being magical. Other than right now, but she didn't really consider a warmth to be magical. Laying the bow back on the floor, Sya leaned back and resumed staring at the ceiling.

Meanwhile, Indigo was sitting cross-legged on the floor of his room, studying his nunchuks. He was eager to do some practice with them again. He, like Sya, hoped that something interesting would happen soon. Pnyx was very interesting, though- he'd only been there a few times on his journeys.

Twirling his nunchuks absently, Indigo wondered what everybody else was doing at the moment. He wondered if Brianna had found her room yet. The rest were probably sleeping, if they had any sense. He figured that's what he should be doing...oh well, he'd sleep later.

Indigo pushed his dark hair out of his eyes and stood up. Surely something would happen tomorrow. Until then, well, he had a whole night ahead of him.

Hanging the nunchuks back onto the rope around his waist, Indigo strode over to the door and opened it. He stepped outside and quietly shut the door behind him, wondering where to go. The library seemed like a good choice.

------------------
Some people say I have too much time on my hands. I say their hands aren't big enough.

#41 User is offline   Desert Fox 

• Hypnotized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2002 - 04:47 AM

It was a quiet evening outside the gates of Pnyx. The gently wind going silently through the trees placed around the pyramid. The normal animal sounds of the night came out with the owls and the various others making calls back and forth. The night would be a calm one.

Within the walls of the pyramid the random mebers of the team were gathering themselves up, getting ready for the oncoming day. Some studied a bit during the night, some practiced some fighting skills, and some slept and lost all worry for the time. Each were undergoing a bit of anxiety about the upcoming journey. The anti-magic could easily be something that would eliminate them without trying. It could be a being that negated all magic and fought with a new form of magic. It also could be a blessing, bestowing those that were pure in its eyes with resistance to anything. Thoughts and ideas about what it could be ran rampant within the minds of each person and by the time all had turned in for the night, each had a different idea on what it was.

Outside of Pnyx, in another realm, an unseen war was being waged between a familiar soul and an unknown evil.
"Its been too long" Desert Fox was saying to himself as he held his sword in front of him, warning another cadre of minions to stay back "Ive been here for way too long"
DF had passed out one day back in a former adventure. His adversary Dylam decided to dwell in the darker magics and froze him in his spot. DF, instead of being captured like that, forced magic through his body and cast himself into the evil dimension, and was then trapped there to fight off the minions there until he could find Avatara's portal out of the area. In his travels, DF found his old friend turned adversary Dylam holding power within this realm, forcing DF to take down his enemy and therefore sever any evil influences that held him. Before his old fried died, DF told Dylam exactly why he had destroyed the old training grounds. The evil that had corrupted it, the shadows in his mind, the plots that were made against him. DF showed him that he had not gone mad one day and just killed them. With this, Dylam had died, with no regrets about his quest.

After a few seconds, the enemies facing DF attacked. It seemed as if they had this all planned out. There were 8 in all, each armed with 2 swords apeice and charging at the same speed. DF saw this and held his sword at a slanted angle towards the evil that was now rushing toward him. When they reached him they attacked with ferocity that no human could match. DF then realized his fortune at getting his new armor here. The attacks that were getting by his sword would have killed him without it. The clash of steal and armor was heard for a distance as the 8 creatures surrounded DF and slashed mercilessly. DF knew this attack all too well and the many healed scars all over his body was proof to this. He jumped up and slashed at an angle at the three from his front to his left. The resulting effect was 3 dead minions, as they were trying to stab up at DF. The remaining 5 redoubled their efforts and switched up their attack a bit. Low-left, high-right, high-thrust, low-sweep, mid-right, high-slash, mid-thrust, mid-left, low-left, mid-downward thrust, high-sweep, low-slash. The attacks were magnificent in their presentation but failed to hurt DF as he also redoubled his efforts and blocked most of what came at him. The ones that did left some fiece slashes that were made so strongly that it cut through the armor and left small scars. He then tried an attack. High-left, low-right, high-crosslash, high-downslash and then DF saw an opening. Immediately he charged up a dark blast and placed it within his sword, which shone a tainted blue color. Once the tip of the sword touched DF's target, the skin on the being dissolved causing the thing to jump back screaming in pain. Knowing his target was now easily beaten, DF pressed his advantage and with a magic blast, he knocked the other 4 minions down and pursued the injured enemy. The being put its arms up in horror but DF wouldnt show mercy, 3 quick slashes and the arms were cut off and a shoulder was clipped. Bleeding and screaming, the evil being tried to run but DF wouldnt allow it a reprieve, he stabbed forward, thrusting his sword deep into the body of the being, sending cold and shadow spells through its body, killing it and turning the body into dust. The other 4 beings had stood up and were charging DF again. DF have none of this and with an immense effort, he sent shadow lances at each of the 4. 1 dodged the vicious attack but the other 3 were knocked back and to the ground, dead, a shadow lance bored deeply within their faces. The final opponent had seen the gruesome deaths of its allies and went into a bloodlust. The sight of his allies fallen in battle drove it insane and with this insanity, it went straight at DF with extreme power. The first slash DF blocked easily but DF didnt see the leg come up and knee him in the crotch. DF went down fast, trying to regain his composure as the enemy thrust downward, stabbing deep into DF's right shoulder. With a shriek of pain, DF cast a dreadful dark blast through the sword and into his enemy's body, tearing each cell in its body from one another. The resulting explosion left the rags covering DF's scarred body with blood.

After this DF fell to the ground. The sword had pierced his skin and cut his arm from feeling. He sheathed his sword and prepared himself for the immense pain that was about to follow. With his left hand, DF grabbed the handle of the sword and yanked the sword out of his body, sending searing pain shooting through his body. DF didnt yell, didnt wimper, he simply passed out because of the pain.

A few hours later, DF awoke with blood still coming out of his body.
"I dont feel like dying here. Avatara's portal is nowhere to be seen. The spell I learned from Avatara will have to do. I just hope I dont mess this up." DF said to himself. With powers that were before unseen, DF cast a spell which quickly took over for itself and created a rift. But to supply this rift with enough energy, it had to sap power from something. DF being the only thing around, it targeted him to power the portal. With almost blinding results, flashes of pure energy was dragged from DF's torn body and fueled a portal that grew large enough for DF to pass through. But the portal was done wrong, and it continued to sap DF.
'Ugh" DF gasped as his energy was now about to go out "Must get through.....only hope I....have"
With that, DF burst out into a full sprint toward the newly opened portal, crying out his battle cry and leapt into the air and through the portal.

Outside the gates of Pnyx, it was the usual night silence. The animals making their normal noises, the wind rustling the trees. Suddenly, a dot appeared in the middle of the air. It started to grow larger and larger. Suddenly, without warning, a human burst through the dark spot, which had grown large enough to allow it through, screaming a fearsome cry. Once through the gate, the human fell to the ground and the gate started to pull energy from its body on that side.

DF stood once again, the energy still being ripped from his body, and cast a dark spell. The dark spell was enormous in scale and was flung at the gate, completely clogging it up and destroying it all at once.
"Ahh, Pnyx, I havent been here for some time now" DF said as he fell to his knees, dead tired from the exertion he had just undergone. Once again realizing the pain in his shoulder, DF drew himself up once again and stumbled to the great pyramid.

When DF reached the gate of Pnyx, he again fell to his knees. The guard on duty quickly rushed to him.
"Hello, noble guard, please, get me something" DF managed to get out before he lost consciousness. The guard almost fell back with realization on who this was. He pulled out a few vials he kept on him in case such a thing as this were to happen and poured some of the healing potions on DF's wounds and opened DF's mouth and had him drink some of the liquid. With that, DF suddenly stirred and awoke.
"Thank you. I didnt know if I could make it back" DF gratiously thanked the guard
"It is my honor, Desert Fox, I am shocked to see you again. ever since that night..." The guard suddenly said in a flurry of words until DF interjected
"Long story, catch me in the mess hall some time and Ill tell you what happened. I should go in and see what has gone on since I had to go" DF said before he headed to the doors of Pnyx.

Lindus rushed down the halls late at night upon hearing of his arrival. When he got to the mess, he saw DF sitting at one end of the table pigging out on a feast meant to feed 4. Upon seeing him, DF took a swig of wine and called out.
"Ahh, Lindus, I see youve come to see me" and with that, DF waved him over and continued on his meal.
The first thing Lindus realized was the many scars that seemed to line DF's arms and face. There were also some fierce red scars seen through what appeared to be some very sturdy armor.
"Where did you ever go off to? Ive had my mages combing the world looking for you but they have been unable to understand your disappearance" Lindus started to rant until DF raised his hand and swallowed his food.
"Ill answer all your questions, but after I am done with this mighty meal placed before me. Feel free to dig in since I cannot see any way for me to finish this myself" DF bellowed out before he dived into his food again.

After a few hours, DF and Lindus had caught up completely with one another's stories of the past months. They had both been shocked to hear one another's tales about the happenings on the two realms.
"So, thats where you have been? I see you have become something vicious of a fighter" Lindus said, nodding at the various scars that lined his arms.
"Well, yes. I dont know why, but that time has done me something good. I needed a challenge and this one almost destroyed me, but since it didnt I sit before you a stronger man" DF replied with a large smile "But I would like to know more about this 'antimagic' you speak of"
"Ahh yes, that" Lindus said and told DF of the entire story as far as it had come "and you could not have come at a better time if you want to join them. For they are about to head out tommorrow"
DF thought this over for a few minutes, noting each and every person. He only recognized a few from them and was shocked that Moonshadow wasnt part of it. Flynn dying all those months ago tore her feelings apart but he didnt think it would go as deep as preventing her from coming on another adventure. Also Lochnivar and several others werent present which confused him. But despite this, DF knew that this would be a way to get to know others that were holding the flag of rightousness.
"Yes, Ill join them if they'll have me. But for now, I am tired and will turn in for the night. I have already scouted out a free room for myself. Tell them Ill meet them here if they will have me" DF told the older man before he got up "Now if you pardon me, I feel like getting a good rest for once. The past months have been trying times"

------------------
Doesnt it feel good to be back? Hell yea!

[This message has been edited by Desert Fox (edited 04-07-2002).]
Banana banana banana banana terracotta banana terracotta terracotta pie!

#42 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2002 - 07:12 AM

Note for new posters: many of the past events referred to in DesertFox's post, such as Flynn's supposed death and Dylam's attack on DesertFox, took place in the team story 'Requiem', which can be found in the 'Best of Cythera' archives.

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#43 User is offline   Aben Zin 

• Safety Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2002 - 03:55 AM

Razmalak shivered in the cold night air. He dared not light a campfire which would surely attract unwelcome attention, both from the guards in Pynx and the other creatures of the night that Razmalak knew only to well. Many of them were created by people he knew well.
As he sat massaging his blistered feet he thought back over the past few days. The heros had been traveling at what was to them a quite relaxed pace, but even this had exausted Razmalak, who had spent much time back at the academy with a medical dictionary forging notes in order to get off the regular six mile hikes his Masters had assigned to the rest of his class. Unknown to Razmalak the Dark Sports Master had several of these notes pinned up in his office- they were little works of arts. Most of the afflictions which allegedly suffered from were either extremely rare or only found in pregnant Unicorns...
Razmalak knew that the party were aware of his presence. Another tactic was called for- some kind of disguise prehaps?
Razmalaks thoughts were interupted when he heard a twig snap to his left. Bandits! Razmalak immediatly wished that the heros were still around. Say what you like about those do-gooder swines, they were handy in a fight.
He counted about eight of them in the gloom. Had they seen him? He peered into the gloom.
No, it looked like they were...
"Hallo," Said a voice frighteningly close to his left ear, "What do we 'ave 'ere?"
Razmalak jumped to his feet.
"Stay back or I warn you I'll regret it! I'm a powerful mage!"
"O yeah?" the figure grunted, "Out on a camping trip are we?"
Out of the corner of his eye Razmalak noticed the rest of the group closing in. All of them were holding a variety of weaponry, and all of them were grinning.
"I...I'm warning you!" Razmalak's voice was edged with desperation, "Don't make me do something I'll regret!"
There were assorted chuckles from the assembled banditry. Razmalak's mind raced desperatly back to his lessons in the Dark Academy. When was it when they were taught that summon skeleton spell? He gave an inner groan when his traitorous memory recalled that he had spent the entire lesson carving "Razmalak 4 Jenny Winter" into his desk with his penknife. No wait, he could recall some of the words!
Yes... now...
"PLEIDIOL WYF IM CWLAD!" he intoned, his voice less a voice of thunder than a squeek of desperation. Nevertheless a look of uncertainty crossed the face of the lead bandit. A glimmer of mad hope shone in Razmalak's eye.
"ADVOCATUS TYROTARICHOS!" he yelled madly.
He felt magical energies flowing through his arms. This was it! He could feel it working!
"ADVOCATUS TYROTARICHOS!" he repeated with more confident.
A vortex appeared in the air and a small dish of salt-fish and cheese fell from it.
Razmalak lowered his arms slowly.
"Oh." He said...

___

Az

------------------
___
___

#44 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2002 - 04:27 AM

While the green glow slowly faded, the Scribe concentrated on discerning his new surroundings. While his sense of sight was at first of little use in the bright sunlight, he could hear the rushing sounds of a waterfall not far away to his right, and the rustling of branches all around, moved by the soft breeze that also grazed his face. No other sounds could be heard.
As his sense of sight returned, he noticed he was indeed standing on a forest clearing, partly shadowed by the intertwined branches of tall, unknown trees. It was neatly cut in half by a clear brook, reflecting the light of the midday sun. Falling autumn leaves, red and golden, were swiftly carried away by the current. Looking upstream, the Scribe saw that the clearing very gently sloped up towards the high granite cliff that bordered it, and the waterfall rushing down its edge and into the pool at its feet, creating a small yet beautiful rainbow.
Coming closer, he also noticed that the pool was not of natural origin. He sat down on the grass beside it and, looking into it, he saw at its bottom a mosaic. Watching through the surface, rippled by the breeze and the splashing water, made it seem as if the Naiads and Nereids were indeed moving, dancing with the various water creatures to the melodious tune of the waterfall. The festival was apparently nearing its end; a few Naiads were just taking their leave. The Scribe frowned, leaning closer. They *were* moving! The mosaic was either magical, or it was not a mosaic at all but some kind of window to another world. There was only one way to find out, but with a feeling of regret he remembered he did not have the time for it. He was here to meet the Phaerie Elder Cairlinn - who was quite obviously not on this autumnal clearing.
He sat up straight, looking around. A smell caught his attention, and looking back down he saw a plain, earthen plate, laden with fresh fruits... apples, pears, different kinds of berries. Looking at it, he realized somebody was apparently watching him - and he was indeed quite hungry. He picked an apple, and began to eat, all the while watching the sunlit clearing - sunlit?! But it had only been evening when he had left Pnyx. He was upposed to find out more about -
Relax. There's no hurry. A calm, serene voice sounded in his mind.
He looked around. To his left, and a little behind him, right next to the cliff, stood a unicorn.
Now it was not one of the six-legged animals any citizen of Cythera knew, but a real unicorn. Its fur was pure white, and its long mane and tail shimmered like starlight. Silver sparks flew when its hooves touched the ground as it walked gracefully towards the pool, and the golden horn caught the sunlight as it left the shadow. But the most remarkable about the creature were its eyes: not the eyes of an animal but of a highly intelligent being, benevolent and wise, they changed color with every movement of the fair head, just like prisms. For a moment, an unexplainable sadness seemed to linger in their rainbow depths.
Sensing that the elf was not convinced by its earlier statement, the unicorn asked: Don't you know where you are?
The Scribe shook his head, noting the distinctly female quality of the voice.
The unicorn looked at him in thoughtful silence. How typically Cairlinn! She concluded finally, laying down next to the Scribe. Don't be upset, please. She just means well. She paused to let her words sink in, then added, in a conversational tone. I take it you enjoyed the festival?
"Yes, very much. So this is indeed a window?" The elf replied, curiousity getting the better of him.
The unicorn gave the mental equivalent of a nod. Mind if I take one? Meaning no disrespect, but I don't think you can eat all of this on your own...
The Scribe nodded, dumbfounded. He'd never met a unicorn before, but from what he'd heard, he'd imagined them to be somewhat... different.
There's a portal like this in about every pool here. The unicorn explained. Otherwise the Naiads could hardly visit these parties. An elegant movement of the head indicated the pool. Speaking of which... Alari should be back any time now.
As if on cue, a small, blue-skinned head pierced the surface and a long silver-blue fish's tail splashed the water. When the Naiad reached the bank she sat down on a smooth rock, barely paying attention to the unicorn but instead fixing her turquoise eyes on the Sribe.
"Hello, good sir!" She greeted in a high, cheerful voice, leaning forward to take one of the juicy strawberries. Holding it in one hand much like a human would hold an apple, she took a big bite before continuing. "Who are you? And what are you doing here?"
"I am known as Sildana'i'Loré'ungwéva. Sil, for short." The old elf replied, smiling. "I am here because Cairlinn, a Phaerie Elder, invited me."
"Cairlinn!" The Naiad cried happily, turning to the unicorn. "When will she be here?"
I don't think she'll come.
"Oh." The disappointment in Alari's voice was almost as tangible as the surprise on the Sribe's face. "But teasing her is so much fun!"
Maybe that's why she's not coming. The unicorn suggested wryly.
"Hmmm..." The Naiad tilted her head thoughtfully, her turquoise hair blowing lightly in the breeze. It had dried completely in the short time she'd spent above the surface.
The unicorn rose to her hooves slowly, inclining her head. I am sorry to leave your company so soon. She began. But I do believe we should be going now. She turned, treading lightly towards the forest. You do think you're in a hurry, don't you? She asked, looking back.
The Scribe nodded, wondering why he had once again forgotten the urgency of the situation. Maybe it was the peaceful atmosphere of this seemingly timeless place. The sun had barely moved from its place high in the sky.
The unicorn seemed to be smiling as she watched him get up and approach her. Though there was no visible path leading through the dense undergrowth, the Scribe had no doubts one would appear when needed.
"You'll lead me to Cairlinn." It was more an observation than a question.
Once again, the unicorn gave a mental nod, setting off through the forest at a moderate pace. Just as the Scribe had assumed, the undergrowth gave way for the two of them, creating a narrow path and closing in silently behind them. This explained why he'd never heard the unicorn's approach.
The unicorn took her time, letting the Scribe savor his surroundings and explaining as she went. This realm is what you'd probably call enchanted. Time and Space become relative where we - creatures of magic - can enter the mundane world. The spiritual knows no confinements. They came across a second, smaller clearing, overgrown with wild flowers and clover. The Scribe didn't have to look to know they would be four-leaved.
Time semed to flow slower the further they went, and the unicorn's voice took on a melancholic tone as she talked about the past. It's been long since I last saw one of your kind. She turned her head to watch him, and that strange sadness returned to her eyes. You have aged. The Scribe could barely make out the mental whisper. He waited for her to say more, but the unicorn walked on in silence.
We're almost there. She announced finally, having regained her conversational mood. Unexpectedly, the forest came to an end, bordered by a broad, slow river. Common sense told the Scribe that there couldn't be a river of that size anywhere near, yet here it was. A distance upstream it was crossed by a delicate, arched bridge, each arch supported by two marble dolphins on either side. And beyond... the Sribe gasped. At first, it was hard to discern the city from the surrounding forest. The slender, spiral towers rose towards the sky like trees, the seemingly fragile bridges connecting them carved like branches. In places, trees grew between the towers, adding to the impression. The light of the setting - setting?! - sun was caught by the crystal structure, filling it with a red-golden light that matched the colors of the autumnal forest.
"Ah, I thought you'd like this." A friendly voice remarked. The Scribe turned his head to see a Phaerie woman fly beside him. Her auburn hair was tipped with gold, her skin smooth, and only her brown eyes indicated her high age. She was clad in Phaerie fashion, a petal-shaped skirt and a blouse, completely made from feathers. "Do you want to enter? The elves were excellent artists... or so I'm told. I never met any of them, but their city is beautiful."
The Scribe's expression grew thoughtful as he remembered how Shi hadn't even known what elves were.
"Shi'nayne was born outside. She's hardly ever been to this forest..." Cairlinn's voice grew stern. "Plus, she always... skipped... her history lessons." The Phaerie Elder shook her head, sighing. "The youngsters are just more interested in the outside world."
The Scribe smiled, recalling Shi's desire for adventure. It was easy to imagine how she would skip the 'boring' history lessons to do something more interesting. "I'd love to take a look at this city, Elder, but -"
"Oh, cut the formalties. There's nobody here, which makes them pretty pointless anyway."
"Well, Cairlinn... I'd enjoy a visit of the city, but I have to ask you a few urgent questions."
"Don't worry about that." The Phaerie waved her hand dismissively. "We have all the time we need. Will you join us?" She turned towards the unicorn, which stood unmoving in the shadow of the forest.
No. The unicorn's voice sounded sad, her rainbow eyes were fixed on the city beyond the river. Then she shook her head, her silken mane grazing the Scribe's hand, before turning away.
"Wait!" The Scribe tore his gaze away from the city to look at the unicorn. "What happened to the elves that lived here?"
They left. The unicorn replied, entering the forest.
Soon she was lost to sight. Cairlinn sighed. "She misses them, I think."
The Scribe nodded absent-mindedly.
From far away, as if on the breeze, the unicorn's voice drifted back to him.
Maybe you'll find your way back here one day... then I will tell you their story.

------------------
Life is relative.
I am relative.
This is probably relative, too.
Too bad I hate my relatives.

[This message has been edited by Moonshadow (edited 04-08-2002).]

#45 User is offline   Desert Fox 

• Hypnotized
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2002 - 08:25 AM

When he left Lindus in the mess hall, DF went to clean himself off. Though it seemed normal to go a few days without washing, DF had been out for months straight and needed to get the matted blood and grime off of his body. The water he got into the bath was slightly cold due to the normal conditions of the weather but DF quickly absolved this problem by casting a minor fire spell taught to him in his quest for the tresure by kestral. After taking 45 mins to wash up, DF went straight to the quarters he had claimed for himself and was satisfied to see that it was empty save for a small bed with a few coverings. It wasnt much at all, but it was better than anything DF had slept on for months. Upon laying down, DF started to notice his own skin letting out a massive sting of pain. To DF this pain was welcome, as it signalled that his body was beginning to relax. The minor aches all along his arms to the stings on his chest and belly due to scars left by sharp swords slashing through his armor. His back finally aligned just right, and let a paralysing pain through his body that DF knew was a sign of good fortune. After a few seconds, his back relaxed and DF felt better than anything he had before. The pain in his legs was starting to subside and his mind was easing into a nice slumber. Walking for so very long forces extra pressure on the legs and this was one of the many reasons he needed to rest.

His sleep was anything but good. The dreams he was able to have in that nightmarish realm were of good times and happy moments, to keep him striving to get back and not keel over and die where he was. But this one was the opposite. It seemed as if all the sights and sounds he encountered in that realm were coming back all at once. In his dreams he saw the many swords slash across him and felt the intense pain that followed them. Though it was only a dream, the pain seemed so real as to be alive. He saw his old friend take up the sword behind all of his bloody evil minions and become a true lord of darkness. He felt that battle once more play through his mind. The sinister storm flashing bolts of lightning down on the battlefield as DF felt more alive than he ever had before. He cast spells of shadow and light side by side, felling many of the hundreds of minions rushing him and then he felt more stings of battle as swords slipped by his guard as he was slicing one enemy in half or decapitating a trio of them. He felt an arrow pierce his armor on his calf and the searing pain of pulling it out immediately. He remembered the extreme spell he cast that day, which went all around that battlefield and perverted the unnatural storm that was raging above them. It sent out lightning in a manner never witnessed before by DF but at this moment it seemed as if he was controlling it, and whatever target he wanted struck was struck. The skies opened up and rained down boiling water, stinging and ultimately distracting his enemies. He felt himself rush throught the ranks of the enemy army until he reached the centerpoint of them all and casting his most fearsome spell, the shadow wave. This burned through the pitiful armor the enemies wore and disintegrated their skin and bones as well.
After doing this, DF fell to the ground, exhausted at the sustained effort it took to cast that spell, when Dylam suddenly rushed him. The swords flashed in the storm as sheets of rain poured down on the duo as their symphony of swordplay could be heard for miles around. A slash here, a stab there, a parry and a counterslash. The two matched each other perfectly. Back and forth, neither could sustain the ground they gained upon the other and was forced to retreat. For two hours this continued on. By the end of the battle, each slash and counter was enhanced with magic as to make it more deadly and harder to block. Flashes of red, blue, and grey could be see from all around as each sword seemed to glow constantly with the magic that was being used. Finally, DF cast a dark spell on his sword which slashed through Dylam's sword and through his ribs. This immediately sent the magic into his body but he was able to resist it.
"Why....all....those years ago.....Why....did you.....kill them...?" Dylam stammered, trying to find out the one question that had been agonizing him for all those years
"There was corruption in those who called themselves knights" DF said quickly, knowing that Dylam was about to die "their own greed was prevailant in their thoughts. They were plotting to kill me and you because we would easily surpass them within the next few years, and they would soon abandon those that had come to depend on them" DF managed to get out before Dylam stopped him
"thhank....yoouu....old....f..friee...nd" Dylam managed to get out. With that, his head fell back and he stopped breathing.
DF saw himself sit there facing his old friend in the rain. He remembered as the blood from his body washed away as well as that of his slain friend. Suddenly, extreme grief came over him and he started to scream out there in the rain....

DF suddenly awoke screaming in grief from the agony of losing one of the people he had known as a friend. He quickly wiped the sweat from his head and lay back down, knowing that this would be a trying night.

------------------
Chalk me up as another case of webboard addiction. Ill be here till they close the doors on me.

#46 User is offline   Overmind 

Posted 09 April 2002 - 07:08 PM

The Scribe stared dazedly after the departed unicorn, then turned back to the captivating sight of the city.

"Lore'vanimar," he whispered. "The legendary lost home of the elves. My grandfather told me stories of this place, but I never believed them."

"Do you believe them now?" Cairlinn smiled at the awe-struck expression on the elderly elf's face.

"No," he replied, quietly. "They couldn't possibly have done this place justice." He took a hesitant step toward the bridge, then stopped. "Are you sure it's all right?"

"Of course. This is the home of your ancestors; no-one here has more right to enter than you."

"Thank you," the Scribe breathed. Slowly, drinking in as much of the astounding vision that he could, he entered the city. Cairlinn floated along beside him, thoroughly enjoying his every reaction. Shi'nayne was right; he was nice.

---------

Razmalak stared at the small dish of food, too terrified to look up and face the bandits again. His mind went blank; try as he might, he couldn't recall any more useful magic to mind. They were going to beat him, and there was nothing he could do to prevent it. He screwed his eyes shut, waiting for the pain.

"Hah!"

Razmalak cautiously opened one eye, looking around for the source of that sudden outburst.

"Hah hah!"

Razmalak opened both eyes, staring at the bandit leader in confusion, as the man doubled up with laughter. The rest of the group were also highly amused, with reactions ranging from chortles to bouts of something approaching hysteria, rolling around on the ground, holding their sides as if they were about to burst!

Eventually, the leader managed to bring himself under control. "That- that was the funniest thing I've ever seen!" he panted. "I like you, kid! Tell you what, we'll let you go, this time - I haven't had such a good laugh in years!"

The ruffian band dispersed into the woods, still laughing, leaving the bewildered Razmalak standing alone.

Not far away, a dark figure smiled, and slipped off into the night, towards the pyramid.

---------

Shortly after re-entering Pnyx, Trinias almost literally bumped into Brianna and Shi.

"What have you been up to?" Brianna queried.

"I was just checking on our furtive follower," Trinias replied. "I didn't want him to get into too much trouble - but he seems all right now."

Brianna quirked an eyebrow. "You still don't think he's a threat?"

"I don't know, either way. And I won't act until I do."

Brianna nodded, satisfied. Shi glanced from one of them to the other, with an expression of annoyance.

"What are you two talking about?" She demanded. Trinias fought hard to control his amusement at the sight of her hovering indignantly in mid-air, with her hands on her hips. He turned to Brianna, and raised his eyebrows; she smiled back, and turned to Shi.

"Well, you see, Shi, it happened while you were asleep..."

------------------

#47 User is offline   Mr. Somebody 

• The Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2002 - 11:50 PM

*I'm BAACK! Sorry, I was playing Nova.*

Larc was wandering through the library at Pynx, marvelling at all the books. "Wow." He thought to himself, "The library at the Sorcery Tower wasn't THIS big!" It was deserted this late at night, even Selinus had gone to bed. Suddenly, Larc heard an ever so faint creak behind him. He immediately whipped around and shot an arrow into the gloom. The figure there unsheathed a sword made of a fine metal found only high in the mountains. He began to charge at Larc when Larc pulled out his sword. just before the figure stepped into the light, Larc dropped his sword. "Oops!" The figure immediately sheathed his sword. "I'd know that voice anywhere..." He said in a grim tone, "...Larc." Larc looked very afraid until the figure stepped into the light. "Martel?" Larc shouted, looking confused. "MARTEL!" "LARC!" The two brothers then ran and hugged each other. "What are you doing here?" Martel asked. "I'm on a quest." Larc said loftily. "Who would have thought! My little brother! On a quest!" Larc chuckled. "Don't tell me about it. So hey! You wanna come?" "Sure! Why not?" Larc picked up his sword and murmered "Oh yeah, and one more thing," "Yeah?" "Can you teach me haw to hold a sword?" "Sure." Larc pulled his arrow out of an alchemy book. "Oops! Well, who cares anyway?" Larc said. "You do." Martel replied. "No I don't!" Larc stammered. "You liar!" Martel accused, and they left the room.

------------------
Once upon a time. The End. "I'm a real nowhere man, sitting in my nowhere land..."
-Modification on The Beatles song
"Just the thought of a rap version of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or 'Achy, Breaky Heart' is bound to make people smile." -Justice Anthony Kennedy, Campbell v. Acuff (2005)

"Haul your ass, Harry, but haul it slowly, or you'll sink the damn boat." -George Washington

Barbarian Films

#48 User is offline   Aben Zin 

• Safety Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2002 - 03:41 AM

Razmalak stood blinking in the weak glow of the Moon, trying to work out exactly why he wasn't dead. He played the scene over and over iin his mind. He had encountered bandits several times back in Catamara (many of them had part time jobs as henchmen), but up until then the only ones with any sence of humour were the ones that said "hur hur hur!" before hitting you and taking your money...

Razmalak spent the rest of the night in the boughs of a tree, Stick cradled in his arms. By the time the Sun rose again he was fast asleep.

Az

------------------
___
___

#49 User is offline   Overmind 

Posted 12 April 2002 - 05:50 PM

"Lore'vanimar," the Scribe sighed once more. "Never in a thousand thousand dreams, could I have hoped to see anything so marvellous!" He slowly made his way across the delicate, almost fragile looking bridge, never taking his eyes off the majestic towers before him. At the mid-point, he halted. Cairlinn floated effortlessly beside him, waiting for him to speak.

"On countless worlds, my people pride themselves on building in harmony with nature," he said. "Compared to the other races, that's certainly true; but having seen this city, I come to realise how much we have lost."

"I've not seen an elf in a long time," the phaerie replied. "I've never seen what an elven city looks like in that world."

"Nothing, compared to this." He at last moved on, reluctant to lose the view as they moved closer, but also eager to see what other amazing sights were awaiting them within the city.

The bridge ended in a wide, open area, paved with marble and crystal stones of various pastel shades; pinks, greens, blues and whites blended together in no particular pattern that he could discern, yet still complementing each other, and producing a pleasing aesthetic effect. In the centre of the area was a white marble fountain. A slender marble stem rose up from the ground, ending in a wide flower-shaped basin. In keeping with the motif from the bridge, a marble dolphin stood on its tail in the centre of the basin, a spray of water issuing from what would have been its blow hole. The Scribe approached the fountain, and tasted the water; sweet, of course, and somehow enervating.

Again reluctantly, he moved on. At the base of a nearby tower, he discerned a door. It was very cunningly fitted, flush with the walls, and with no visible way to open it. He touched it lightly and it swung wide open - whether it was by magic, or skilful balancing by the craftsman that constructed it, he couldn't tell.

"The elves lived in peace here," Cairlinn commented. "They felt no need of locks or fastenings; all elfkind were friends - all the Phae, actually."

"It sounds so wonderful. I wonder why my ancestors left?"

Cairlinn looked sad. "I don't know, it was before my time; but ever since, the Phae have been dwindling; but I don't know if it's because the elves left, or if the elves left because of it." The Scribe nodded, stepped into the room beyond the door, and gasped.

The room appeared to be some kind of atrium, with a low table and cushions on which to sit; but what took the Scribe's breath away was the sight of an enormous work of art, that covered most of the four walls. It was constructed of tiny pieces of precious gems, placed in such a way as to produce a crystalline tapestry. It seemed to represent a history of his people; from the first elves, continuing through the founding of the city and the first meetings with the other Phae races. It halted abruptly, almost halfway along the fourth wall. There was nothing there to indicate a reason for the elves departure; either it was too abrupt, or the artist had lost interest before that time came.

The Scribe sighed again, and sat down on one of the cushions - which was in surprisingly good condition, considering its age, probably due to the nature of the enchanted realm.

"I couldn't take in any more yet, Cairlinn - and there are things weighing on my soul. There is a source of something, call it anti-magic, back in the other world; it may threaten all I've come to know in Cythera. My descendant, Bri'anna, is among those seeking it out, and I fear for her safety."

"This is the same Brianna that Shi'nayne has spoken of?"

"Yes."

"There is another matter concerning her that troubles you, is there not?"

"Yes; but I will ask your help for that another time. Do you know anything that may be of assistance in their current quest?"

Cairlinn thought long and hard, before answering.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Overmind (edited 04-12-2002).]

#50 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2002 - 12:03 AM

Indigo stood in front of one of the bookshelves, rather in awe at the vast amount of books and scrolls. He hadn't had any trouble getting into the library, even at this hour- maybe it was common for the students to be up late studying?- but now that he was here, he didn't know where to start.

Picking up a scroll at random, he found it to be on the subject of herbology- something which had never really interested him. But it was worth reading, at any rate.

Finding an empty chair, Indigo settled down and started to read. He'd never been much of a reader, but he had the basic skills, at least. That was good, because the scroll was rather complicated...

As he read, Indigo absent-mindedly wondered where the Scribe was. Maybe later he could find some of the stuff on this 'anti-magic countermeasure' that the Scribe had been reading. Might help him understand it, and he could try and explain it to Sya tomorrow.

Seemingly within minutes, Indigo found that to his surprise he was done reading the scroll. Time flies... Rolling the scroll back up, Indigo went to go find the librarian to ask about the Tyrant's countermeasure.

Late that night, Indigo yawned and shut the book he was reading. He'd got hold of some scrolls on the countermeasure and had attempted to read them. They almost made sense, but confused him so much he'd given up by midnight. Instead, he had turned to the history of Pnyx. There was certainly a lot on that subject!

But now, it was time to sleep. They'd probably be going a fair ways tomorrow, and he'd need at least some sleep.

Putting the back away, Indigo glanced around at the library. It was almost completely empty, which wasn't surprising considering the time...

Indigo yawned again and headed off to his room. Something interesting was bound to happen tomorrow.

------------------
Some people say I have too much time on my hands. I say their hands aren't big enough.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users