• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Sorcery Tower

#126 User is offline   Mr. Somebody 

• The Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 February 2002 - 05:01 PM

Larc went over to Slayer lokking puzzled and asked him a question that sprung an immediate debate. "How will we get back with the snowstorms hampering us? Apparently Moonshadow and I could fly over, but what about the rest of the group?" There was a lot of people saying "Yeah, he's right!" heard. It was then that Violet suggested something. "Pynx!" "What???" "Pynx!" She said again. "Perhaps if Pynx's mages tried to erase it from their end, and these mages tried to erase it from here, it might work out!" "But how would we do this?" A mage asked. "Even if we could erase it from this end we could not contact Pynx!" Violet replied "That is where Larc's idea comes in." "Me? What? I had an idea????" Larc seemed to wake from sleep he had not gotten for ages. Some could not help but laugh at this. "You and Moonshadow could fly to Pynx and ask them! What do you think?"

*Well, what DO you think?*

------------------
Once upon a time. The End. "I'm a real nowhere man, sitting in my nowhere land..."
-Modification on The Beatles song
"Just the thought of a rap version of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or 'Achy, Breaky Heart' is bound to make people smile." -Justice Anthony Kennedy, Campbell v. Acuff (2005)

"Haul your ass, Harry, but haul it slowly, or you'll sink the damn boat." -George Washington

Barbarian Films

#127 User is offline   Trinias 

Posted 23 February 2002 - 05:35 PM

"Really, that's not necessary," Doria interrupted. "We've had that magic under control here for centuries. Follow me." She led them from the counsel chamber to the spiralling stairwell outside, and began to climb.

Trinias lost count of the number of floors they passed, but he was soon on familiar ground; he recognised the entrance hall, and the flights above as they continued to climb. Doria didn't stop until they reached the very top: the chamber with the brazier of cold, green flame. The freezing temperature of the storm bit through the walls here, and they could hear the howling of a gale beyond the closed wooden shutters.

"Hello Elthrin, I thought we'd find you here." Doria was completely unsurprised at the sight of the heavily-built mage crouched in the corner, wrapped in a blanket.

"Is it over, then?" Elthrin queried, glancing around at the adventurers entering the room behind Doria.

"Yes. Mephistos and Marlea are dead. Aldwin is taking charge; I don't know what we'll decide to do, but we'll certainly no longer be attempting to destroy the mages of Pnyx."

A smile slowly crept over Elthrin's face. "Good. I was heartily tired of all the plotting."

Doria turned to face the strangers. "Elthrin here is chief keeper of the flame; it's his job to make certain it never goes out. When he disappeared, I was sure he'd come here."

"That's all very well, and we're glad you found your friend," Slayer interrupted, slightly annoyed. "But what does that have to do with the storms?"

"Oh, of course, forgive me," Doria apologised, "I forgot you didn't know. To end the storms, all that needs to be done is to extinguish that flame." She gestured toward the green fire.

"That's it?" Rogan queried, finding it hard to believe it could be that simple.

Elthrin cleared his throat. "Well, she makes it sound easy. Since it was our primary line of defense, we've worked hard on improving it for decades, finding new ways to keep it alive. It's still possible to put it out, but it will take me some time - perhaps a day, maybe longer. I don't really know, it's never been done before."

Slayer nodded. "Thank you, please let us know when you're ready." He turned back to the rest of the group. "Well, we still have to locate Avatara, and I'm sure the mages will have lots of questions for us. Doria, do you have records? Some of us would appreciate a chance to examine them."

"Of course," she replied, then shivered. "By all means, let's get back downstairs where it's warm."

------------------
On the other hand, you have different fingers.

#128 User is offline   Mr. Somebody 

• The Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2002 - 09:59 PM

*I was gonna post but I suddenly don't feel like t right now. I think I'll do it anyway. It's gonna be short though. Posted Image*

"Yes. I agree Slayer. I don't know about Moonshadow, but I'm glad that I don't have to fly back. I haven't flown in twelve years!" Larc smiled as he walked over to Elthrin. "I think I'll stay here and help." So then everyone left except Larc and Elthrin. "Hello. Long time no see my jail bird friend." Elthrin commented while staying at the fire. Larc had not told his true history when he first met the group of travelers who came here. For some reason he didn't completely trust them then. Larc had flown in, like he said, but he had then joined the mages. He, Elthrin and several other mages led an insurrection against the Prefect. Everyone was caught, except for Larc and Elthrin. Then one mage spat every name of all the people in the group. Including Larc. Everyone said that Elthrin had not collaborated with them and Larc had only been to one meeting to tell them to stop. They were executed, and Larc was innocent. However, the Prefect assigned Larc to jail for life for not informing anyone of the group. Larc laughed. "Yes. Well, at least someone somewhat smart could take over my job. Now let's see about this flame's extinguishment..."

------------------
Once upon a time. The End. "I'm a real nowhere man, sitting in my nowhere land..."
-Modification on The Beatles song
"Just the thought of a rap version of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony or 'Achy, Breaky Heart' is bound to make people smile." -Justice Anthony Kennedy, Campbell v. Acuff (2005)

"Haul your ass, Harry, but haul it slowly, or you'll sink the damn boat." -George Washington

Barbarian Films

#129 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2002 - 12:14 AM

It doesn't matter if it's short, Mr S. It's just good that you're staying involved. Posted Image

I'd planned to post a wrapup for this story (and possibly start a new one) this weekend, unless someone kept it alive; but now I find I have to go out of town, and won't have the time. Maybe I'll be able to do it sometime next week, unless Slayer wants to do the honours.

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#130 User is offline   Alpha-Alaric 

Posted 27 February 2002 - 08:12 PM

A man appears out of nowhere, he seems to be wearing a grey pointed hat and robes midnight black with stars on them; he is leaning on a staff and looks as if he has traveled a tiresome journey. Finally he makes his way up to Slayer and collapses.

------------------
-Do not look back at
your past, but your
future that awaits you.

#131 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2002 - 07:06 PM

Sya looked at the man in surprise. Fortunately, they were already off the staircase by the time he appeared. Sya walked over to the newcomer and knelt down next to him, searching through her shoulder-bag. She pulled out a bottle and fed some of the contents to the man. Propping him up against the wall, she turned to the others.

"You follow Doria. I'll wait here until this man comes around, and I'll find you then."

Doria raised an eyebrow. "Well, I ought to tell you where we're going then."

Sya shook her head. "No, don't worry, I'll be fine-" but Trinias cut her off.

"It's easy to get lost here. Just let Doria tell you. Anyways, it'll take less time if you know where to go."

"I guess so," Sya relented.

Doria nodded. "Ok, then. Our records are stored in the library, which is down six floors from ground level. Once you get off the staircase, just walk straight down the hallway to the doors. If there's somebody there, just tell them you're following Doria."

Sya nodded. "I'll see the rest of you down there later." She waved to them, then turned back to take care of the newcomer.

------------------
Fee, fi, fo, fum, I smell the blood of an Englishmuffin.

#132 User is offline   Alpha-Alaric 

Posted 28 February 2002 - 09:49 PM

The man turns out to be one of the world's most powerful wizards, but no one has seen them for ages. After thanking the person for her kindness, he gets back up onto his staff. Suddenly 1 Demon appears.The man shields the person that treated him. "You shall not harm her !, Keep away or I will be forced to call upon my powers !" The demon refuses to retreat. The man shouts something in another language that must be a spell. "Naur un Edraith Ammen !" Lightning Bolts fly out from the mans staff that is pointed at the demon, the demon dies.

------------------
-Do not look back at
your past, but your
future that awaits you.

[This message has been edited by Alpha-Alaric (edited 03-01-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Alpha-Alaric (edited 03-01-2002).]

#133 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2002 - 03:17 PM

Hmm, you might want to tone this down a bit, Alpha - 'god'-like characters can get really annoying. The stories are more fun if the problems are actually a challenge, and having an over-powered character along just turns it into a farce. Posted Image

I can give you some tips on making a believable and acceptable character:

1. Choose a single attribute and make it the core of your character. For example, my 'Flynn' character is honourable to the extreme, which often governs his actions and reactions. You can expand on that attribute later, but at first it helps you to get that character in focus.

2. Give your character vulnerabilites. Not just physical ones, but emotional and mental ones as well. That doesn't mean that your character can't be superhuman; most of them are. However, many of my characters, and those of other people, have very tragic pasts, and this can cause them severe distress in certain circumstances.

3. Respect the boundaries set by other posters. Many posters have appropriated certain attributes to their characters, and you shouldn't trespass on that. For example, the 'Talos' character is listed as the best swordsman around, so nobody should invent a character that could beat him. Even though my 'Sasha' character is listed as a master swordswoman, I'd never write her in such a way that she could defeat Talos single handed.

And of course,
4. Don't make your character too powerful. That just ruins the fun for everybody. In general, it's not a good idea to make your character 'the most powerful' anything, and any character that can take out a whole flock of demons single handed is over the top.

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!
"The e-mail of the specious is deadlier than their mail" - Tom Holt, 'Snow White and the Seven Samurai'

#134 User is offline   Alpha-Alaric 

Posted 01 March 2002 - 06:09 PM

My guy does have many weaknesses, I just havent stated them yet, and it isnt like he's the best and almighty god of the universe, he's just an extremelly advanced wizard.

------------------
-Do not look back at
your past, but your
future that awaits you.

#135 User is offline   Slayer 

• EX-Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 March 2002 - 06:29 PM

Still, being able to take out a bunch of demons that way (or any way that doesn't take a several pages) gives a character way too much power. I suggest rewriting your post.

------------------
Slayer's guide to Cythera:
[url="http://"http://www.macclassics.com/cythera/cythera.htm"]http://www.macclassi...era/cythera.htm[/url]
Slayer's guide to Cythera:
http://russell.stanb...ide/cythera.htm

#136 User is offline   Alpha-Alaric 

Posted 01 March 2002 - 08:40 PM

Originall Posted by Slayer:
Still, being able to take out a bunch of demons that way (or any way that doesn't take a several pages) gives a character way too much power. I suggest rewriting your post.
Any Better ?

------------------
-Do not look back at
your past, but your
future that awaits you.

#137 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2002 - 11:47 PM

Originally posted by Alpha-Alaric:
My guy does have many weaknesses, I just havent stated them yet, ...

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply he didn't; I was just giving my general character-making spiel. And yes, that's a lot better. I hope you don't mind, but when I post next (later tonight, hopefully) I'm going to have to take a few liberties with what you've written, just to make sure it all fits together. Posted Image

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!

#138 User is offline   Trinias 

Posted 04 March 2002 - 07:28 PM

Sya quickly put her shock behind her, and thanked the mage profusely.

"You're welcome," he responded. "Now, I'm very tired; is there somewhere I could sleep for a while?"

"I'm sure there must be; we'd best check with Doria."

Following the directions Doria had given, they soon found their way to the library. Slayer, Moonshadow and others were perusing the shelves, looking for anything that might be of interest. Trinias, feeling useless, was leaning against a wall and thinking. He looked up as Sya and the mage (what's his name, anyway?) entered.

"Everything OK?" he queried, somewhat concerned.

"Oh yes," Sya exclaimed enthusiastically. "I was attacked by a demon, and this man saved me!"

Trinias quirked an eyebrow slightly, but showed nothing else. "Is that so?"

Doria approached them then, eager to see to their welfare. "Of course there's a room," she said, as soon as Sya had apprised her of the mage's request. "Come this way, sir, and we'll get you sorted out right away."

Trinias motioned to a nearby table, and Sya nodded; they sat down, and were soon joined by Slayer, Rogan and Moonshadow - who'd overheard much of what Sya had said.

"What does everyone think of the newcomer?" Slayer asked.

"He's nice," Sya unhesitatingly responded. "That demon looked mean; he saved my life!"

"Did he?" Trinias queried drily. His sceptical expression was mirrored on the other's faces.

"What do you mean?" Sya queried, doubt finally creeping into her voice.

"From what we've gathered so far, demon's haven't exactly been a problem here," Slayer explained.

"So?"

"So, do you really think one would go to all the trouble of getting here, just to try and attack a young, inexperienced elf girl?" Moonshadow explained, gently.

"Oh." Sya's voice was rather quiet, as she began to realise what they were getting at. "So - it wasn't after me?"

Trinias shook his head. "Showing up so soon after the old mage is a bit too much of a coincidence," he mused. "Either it was after him - or he summoned it. Either way, he seems to have deliberately tried to deceive you. It still might have been innocent - but there are other things."

"Like what?" Sya demanded, still a little reluctant to believe them.

"Like, why did we leave you alone with a perfect stranger in the first place?" Rogan said. "He appeared out of nowhere, we knew nothing about him - yet we suspected nothing. That's not normal."

"It's quite clear," Slayer added, after pondering for a few moments, "that he wields a considerable influence. However, he's done nothing overtly bad, so I guess all we can do is watch him. But stay alert; try not to let him influence any of us again. Innocent or not, it might dull our reactions at a critical moment."

Everyone nodded in agreement. Sya was last, by several seconds; but once she'd made up her mind, her resolve was as firm as any of them.

------------------

#139 User is offline   Alpha-Alaric 

Posted 04 March 2002 - 07:56 PM

Doria approaches Slayer, if you don't mind this mysterious wizard has called a meeting in our sacred chamber.
Slayer asks, " Where might this chamber be ?"
Doria says, "Gather your followers and quickly follow me, but be quiet ! We dont know what is lurking around here these days...."
Doria goes up to a wall with two statues of gargoyles standing in a specific state, hard to describe.
Slayer asks, " Excuse me Doria, but why have we stopped here ? This is just an ordinary wall."
Doria says, " What things seem to be may not be as they appear," she shouts some word in Cytherian language, unknown by any members in the group.
"Stand Back Everyone," she commands.
The wall slowly pushes back and disappears, revealing a long windy staircase.
As the party reaches the top after what seemed like ages of climbing, there is a gigantic room with a long table and chairs at the sides.
Doria explains that a meal has also been prepared for the ones who are hungry.
The man says, " I know you may all be suspicious of me, but we are not safe here, oh yes as safe as it may seem, we are not safe, not by a longshot ! My name is Alpha-Alaric-Demobellophrus-Wizardriantomento, but you may call me Alpha. I have come to warn you that after the tyrant was banished from this land, demons and evil creatures have been lurking nearby waiting for a perfect time to lay siege upon this tower, so they may have it for themselves. I on the other hand have been watching from far above us in the skies. Let me explain. I have the ability to morph into an animal that is legendary. No one has ever seen this bird in a long time. You may have seen me circling you on your journey up this mountain, I do not wish to harm you, but to protect you from harm..... Many travellers have not made it this far, but you must be an outstanding group to have made it this far. And now I will answer any questions you may have, if we are not interrupted by anything."
Sya and Slayer ask, " Excuse me, but why would these demons get into the tower and how ?"
Alpha replies, " Well first of all to my knowledge in a secret part of this tower the tyrant had a secret library where he hid his most secret spells that his minions performed for him ; that he created ; though I do not know how they manage to get in to the best of my knowledge,"
"Yes, Avatara I would be happy to teach you some advanced techniques...*cut-off by Avatara*"
Avatara amazingly asks, " But, but how did you you know ?"
Alpha replies, " Well I can sense when a mage would like some teaching to improve their techniques for spells and such, I have a gift to read some minds, but not all... you see all mages are connected in a way, and if you learn to decipher the runes of telepathy you will learn to read other mages minds, yes it does sound creepy."
"Slayer and Trinias and many others I know that you do not trust me, but you must for the moment, because for the moment it is one of your only options, when the time comes I believe you will see me as a very valuable ally... Doria if you don't mind could you please lead us to where all our fallen mages are ?"
Doria replies, "Certainly"
The group travels back down the windy staircase. When they reach the bottom of the staircase 20 harpies appear, Trinias being at the front jumps back and warns the rest of the group.
Alpha shouts, " TRINIAS LOOK OUT !!" Alpha takes his staff and smacks the harpy that was about to attack Trinias.
Doria leads them to another room quickly and locks the doors behind them. The room has cooking utensils and such,so it must be the kitchen.
Sya shouts " THEY'RE STILL COMING THROUGH !" after the doors are locked.
Alpha says, "Everyone stand back I dont wan't anyone in the way !, Almighty elements of this planet spare me some of your powerful energy to conquer or at least slow these beasts !" A Light Streaks down from the sky right threw the ceiling heading towards the harpies ! " (This light does no damage, but stuns the harpies for a minute) Slayer do you have a sword with you by chance ?"
Slayer remembers his sword was with him in his robe just down the hall. Slayer replies, " Why no I dont, but in fact it's just down the hall, why do you ask ?" Alpha replies, " Everyone quick get a weapon out !"
Alpha suddenly faints...................He coudln't take all the harpies mind attacks.........
Slayer hacks his way through the harpies sending them flying.
Sya protects the wounded that were wounded in the earlier battle before she met Alpha. Doria takes a rolling pin from the counter and starts smacking at the harpies. A harpy starts heading towards the wounded and Sya !! Sya screams Posted Image
She smacks the harpy with her handbag, knocking it unconcious. Trinias and Talos help Slayer with the big group of harpies before they start to overwhelm Slayer. All the fellow mages in the room, or ones that posses magical powers combine them together into an extremelly powerful death blow, that disinegrates the rest of the harpies. (Alpha is unconsious so he did not help with this spell)
------------------
-Do not look back at
your past, but your
future that awaits you.
Starcraft Name: US-Goldleadr-N
AIM Name : US Goldleadr N

[This message has been edited by Alpha-Alaric (edited 03-06-2002).]

#140 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2002 - 12:09 AM

Sorry, but I have some problems with this Posted Image

1. Avatara hasn't actually returned to the group yet, but we could gloss over that.

2. Having just survived imprisonment and combat in this tower, nobody in the group is likely to have felt comfortable enough to leave their weapons behind. I know Trinias wouldn't.

3. The Tyrant wasn't a mage. In fact, he didn't trust magic much at all; that's why he wanted Pnyx destroyed. This is the basis of my idea for the next story.

4. Avatara isn't the only mage in the group, although he's probably the most powerful. Almost all of them have magical abilities of differing kinds, and to different degrees; the only non-magical ones are Sya (except for shape-changing), Arsloss (except for a weak fire spell), Garendor, and perhaps Violet.

5. You took far to much on your character, ignoring the abilities of those present. For example, Garendor, Arsloss and Callie all have exceptional senses of smell, and would have smelt the harpies far sooner. All-in-all, Alpha is still coming across a bit too strong. You don't have to use your character all the time; I don't know if you noticed, but when I wrote the last battle, I hardly used my own character at all.

6. I really don't like the mass-mage-telepathy idea. You're effectively forcing it on everyone who has a mage character, which is most of us; and besides, I can see it leading to some major difficulties later on. We already have limited telepathy spells, but they only link two minds at a time, and only for short periods.

7. Alpha's declaration that they had no option but to trust him would have carried no weight whatsoever, and would have been more likely to promote suspicion instead. They're not likely to trust him alone with a member of their group again, when the circumstances from the previous time are still unexplained.

8. (Nod to Talos) The story is being written exclusively in third-person, past-tense, but your post was in the present tense.

9. This story was about ready to come to a satisfactory end. We should probably let it do that, and not introduce new disruptive elements at this point. There'll be plenty of time in later stories to try out your ideas.

I should probably have added a number 5 to my 'character-making' tips earlier, but I forgot it: 5. Start small. If you keep your initial posts short, and don't do too much with other people's characters too soon, you'll have time to get familiar with the other posters and their character's attributes. It'll also give you time to get to understand how much is too much, and when an otherwise good idea should be dropped.

I hope you don't take all this too hard, it's great that you're so keen; but slow down, take your time, and get to know the ropes first. OK? Posted Image

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!

#141 User is offline   Alpha-Alaric 

Posted 05 March 2002 - 09:27 AM

There it has been edited, so that anyone wishing to continue the story may do so,while I was unconcious.....

[This message has been edited by Alpha-Alaric (edited 03-06-2002).]

#142 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2002 - 07:52 PM

Somebody may have already mentioned this, but it really helps to read the 'Character Info' topic. It makes it much easier to post using other people's characters.

Also, have you read the whole topic through in detail? I know it's a lot to read, but it helps too. Posted Image

------------------

#143 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2002 - 07:19 PM

I'll be editing it later

OK, I can give you until Saturday, but then I'll just have to post the close off and pretend your post didn't happen - I'm keen to get the next story started, but this one has to end, first.

I was just typing fast because I was very busy so I just put down what came to my mind.

Um, I don't think you understood exactly what I meant. By 'slow down', I meant that you shouldn't try to get so heavily involved so soon, that at first you should keep your posts small and reactive, until you understand the other characters involved. There are quite a few nuances to explore for each character, and most posters object if you cause their characters to do things that don't fit their established personas.

Kat's advice to read the Character Info is good, but I've found that that often doesn't tell the whole story; it's best to also read a few of the older stories, and see for yourself how they operate.

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!

#144 User is offline   cache22 

• Lord of the Chrons
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2002 - 02:19 AM

OK Alpha, just read your edit. There's still a few problems, but it's enough of an improvement that I'll withdraw my remaining objections. I still wish we could have finished this story off, though. This new stuff is hardly related to the rest of the tale at all, except by location, and I think it would have been better left for another story - it might even have fitted in well with my idea for the next one. I really don't know where we can take it from here, but we'll certainly try to come up with something. Posted Image

------------------
Kobayashi Maru!

#145 User is offline   Alpha-Alaric 

Posted 07 March 2002 - 09:49 AM

I have thought up an ending overnight, I will post it,but please stop insulting my work so much.

------------------
-Do not look back at
your past, but your
future that awaits you.

#146 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2002 - 07:14 PM

Oh, for the love of Pete. cache isn't insulting your writing, he's just offering advice. If your English teacher gave you some tips for creative writing, would you call that 'insulting' as well?

Sorry, but most of us have already been around long enough to understand what goes on. An idea for after this TS had already been developed, and this one was nearly finished. It just gets tiresome when they're dragged on.

There are a lot of things that we (the people on the Cythera board, that is) have to be careful about. Timeframes, other people's characters, locattions, etc. We're just giving advice and informing you of things to help you. We do take our writing seriously.

------------------

#147 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 March 2002 - 09:51 AM

Alpha, I can see you're having a few problems with the board. Don't worry, you aren't the only one that had trouble. I regret that when I first joined I did have trouble with non-godlike characters, for a big example go to "Once Again" (in the Cythera Archives) and look at Tyrael's posts. They're too powerful, and make the story not very fun. Its taken two years for me to fully get beyond that point, and several of us went back and rewrote Once Again, making it the enjoyable story it deserves to be.

Something I found that helps some people is use a statistic system for your character (imagine a stat number, like there are in Diablo or Baldur's Gate) and try and base your character's power off that. Usually we prefer new characters start under level 20, but in your case (seeing a glimpse of your history) we might allow you to start up to level 30.

Indeed, Avatara is probably the most powerful mage there, but that's because he's been around since nearly the beginning; two years was plenty of time to reach a whopping level of 53. (I know, I haven't updated the character info recently)

However, I think you're getting better. Perhaps if you avoided the words "demon" and "undine" for awhile you will be okay. Also, I should point out from time to time ferazel has this problem (50 alligators - yeah right), but he's improving.

To cache, Katerei, and the rest of you:
Yes, I understand your frustration, I was frustrated for awhile there. He just needs time to adapt though. I might be seeming awful leniant, but lets not scare off what little amounts of newcomers we have here. I also personally understand the want to get into the "action" around here, and the frustration of people not liking it - one of the reasons why there are no chronicles from me.

He is improving, and it seems he is getting better. Though, it also seems we've been hitting a bit too harshly on him. I know, I was a little unsettled at first about Avatara suddenly returning, but now I have an idea on where to go with it... :menacing grin: Posted Image

------------------
"I'm a controversial figure. My friends either dislike me or hate me."
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#148 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2002 - 09:55 AM

Originally posted by iKaterei:
There are a lot of things that we (the people on the Cythera board, that is) have to be careful about. Timeframes, other people's characters, locattions, etc. We're just giving advice and informing you of things to help you. We do take our writing seriously.

I just read your post here, didn't notice it before. Keep in mind I'm not trying to insult you.

Its kind of ironic you say that, I've tolerated people ruining everything I labor to build up time and time again, in nearly every open TS. People have abused my characters, misunderstood stuff I tried to express. Hmm...I guess that's one of the biggest reasons I'm less active now.

Afterthought: from now on, if anybody has a problem with anothers' post, perhaps a private e-mail would be a better solution than posting it publically, as then it wouldn't clog up the story. Of course, that means everyone would have to make their e-mail address available, as its quite difficult to e-mail someone when you don't know their address...

------------------
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

#149 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2002 - 10:17 AM

Anyway, its time for my long-awaited Posted Image story post, its not too good, but solves some inconsistancies:
(Note: if Talos doesn't actually have a sword right now, assume he is borrowing one)

Talos swung his sword to the ground, finishing his stroke, and paused to catch his breath for a moment while he leaned on the hilt. Then, he turned and walked over to Alpha-Alaric, whom Avatara had just helped to his feet.

"Stop right there." Talos raised the blade, pointed it at the two.

"I don't understand..."
"Talos..."
"What do you think you are doing?" multiple people interjected. Slayer muttered a silent word of astonishment, before he moved in, also threatening the two.

"I warned you...why can't you trust me?" Alpha protested.

"You're not who you say to be. Give it up now." Slayer demanded, ignoring the questions of confusion.

"I told you already, I'm-"

"Not you, him." It took a moment, but then the group realized he was threatening Avatara. Alpha sidled thankfully away.

"Did you hit your head on something? Who else would I be?"

"Something you said gave us the slip." Talos grinned, "Avatara hates transforming, anybody that's been around him should've known that."

Avatara looked trapped, and stared silently at the two blades for a moment. Then he smiled, "That is not the only deception, much is coming to pass, much you will not see." He shimmered and faded out. A large explosion rocked the room, and someone far off screamed.

"He's heading for the basement!" Doria cried. "There are dreadful creatures and terrible spells down there!" Another explosion rocked the tower, this one louder and more violent.

The group began to hurry after him, but before long they were halted by another mage returning in a hurry. "There was a cave-in, the creature is either trapped or dead. We had magic-absorbing rocks in some of the lower levels to prevent disasterous experiments, it can't escape." The mage had said the latter to help the group understand; turning back to Doria he continued, "The lower levels are now sealed."

"Well then, I guess that means we probably should be leaving," Rogan spoke up.

"What about the real Avatara? Shouldn't we look for him?" Alpha asked.

Slayer held up his hand a moment, thinking. Then he finally turned back to the group, "No. He is on his own now, somehow I can't help but think that's what he wanted."

------------------

[This message has been edited by Avatara (edited 03-08-2002).]

#150 User is offline   Overmind 

Posted 08 March 2002 - 10:10 PM

*** OoC ***

Originally posted by Avatara:
Afterthought: from now on, if anybody has a problem with anothers' post, perhaps a private e-mail would be a better solution than posting it publically

No really practical, Avatara. Posting it publicly serves a double purpose: it lets the person know there's a problem, and it also causes anyone else think twice before posting something that solidifies or compounds the error.

Originally posted by Avatara:
Note: if Talos doesn't actually have a sword right now, assume he is borrowing one

I assumed he would have taken the late Prefect's enhanced sword. I'd intended to write that, but I forgot at the time, and events passed me by fairly quickly.

If anyone's wondering why I'm using my 'Overmind' account instead of 'Trinias', I changed the e-mail addresses for most of my character accounts the other day, and ASW neglected to mail me the new passwords - so the affected accounts are defunct until further notice, probably permanently. Posted Image

*** BiC ***

Trinias glanced back down the corridor, back in the direction the other mage had come from. "The way the creature vanished... it looked like an Undine, to me," he mused, frowning worriedly.

"An Undine?" Doria queried. "I've never heard of that. What is it?"

"Have you heard of the Metics?" Moonshadow asked in return.

"Metics, yes. What's the connection?"

"The Metics, or Seldane, are Earth elementals. The Undine are their Water elemental counterparts. They use a magic deeper than that we use, and few people know it. Trinias does, but he's not very strong."

"Deeper magic? How is that a problem?"

"Because your magic-absorbing rocks will probably only work on mana-based magic - and the power of the elementals doesn't derive from mana," Slayer explained.

"Oh!" Doria began to get worried, as she finally understood. "I must speak to Aldwin; under the circumstances, I don't think we can stay in the tower."

She began to hurry back toward the stairs, heading for the council chamber. The others swiftly followed.

---------

Trinias entered the chamber near the rear of the group. Doria was just finishing her explanations to Aldwin.

Aldwin shook his head in frustration. "What else can go wrong? I'm beginning to think this tower is jinxed." He pondered for a few minutes, then sighed. "I think we should evacuate, and leave a small group to monitor the situation until we can remove all the archives."

"I agree," Doria replied.

Aldwin entered one of the side rooms, and a moment later they heard the deep, resounding note of a large gong. It sounded twice more, then Aldwin returned to the main chamber.

"The gong can be heard throughout the whole tower," Doria explained. "Everyone will assemble here soon. Then we can decide what to do."

Jin arrived shortly, accompanied by several younger mages and magesses, and walked straight over to Trinias. "What's going on?" she asked.

"It's complicated," he replied. "Better wait and get it with everyone else."

Jin nodded, but spent a few moments chewing her lower lip. After a while, she broke the silence. "What's it like - I mean, outside?"

"You've never been outside the tower?"

"No, except into the farming valley. I always wondered - what's it like out there, in the real Cythera?"

"Well, for one thing, it's green. There are places where the jungle grows so dense, you can't walk through it, and the rivers and lakes are like pure crystal. There are creatures of all kinds, if you know where to find them. Four-legged, six-legged, birds and water-dwellers; Cythera is rich with life. The cities and towns are pretty friendly for the most part, and there are a lot of really nice people there - a lot that are adventurers, like this group, but also people just going about their daily lives."

Trinias paused, noticing that several of the nearby mages were listening intently. "What about Pnyx? What's it like?" One of them enquired.

Trinias shrugged. "I don't really know, I've only been there once. My friends Wolmark and Leandra would be the ones to ask about that - or perhaps Moonshadow here, she's lived there for a while."

They turned to Moonshadow, who'd been listening, and had anticipated their questions. "Pnyx is a quiet place, of great learning," she began. "The teachers and researchers are very helpful, and will show a student all that they can handle. A few of them, like Timon and Ferazel, occasionally go out with adventurers like us, on quests."

Moonshadow took a breath, prepared for the next question, but was interrupted by Aldwin.

"I see that most of us are here, so I think we'll start." He cleared his throat. "Ahem. We have a problem..."

---------

Larc walked in just as the meeting was breaking up. He joined Talos, looking around questioningly. "What's going on?"

"There's a problem," Talos replied. "A powerful creature has been trapped in the basement, but they're not sure if it will stay trapped. They've voted to evacuate the tower, leaving only a few volunteers to watch for trouble, and work on transferring the archives to Pnyx."

"Oh," Larc responded. "Well, I just came down to inform you that we've almost got the flame licked - it should be out within the hour."

"Good!" Talos exclaimed. "I'm getting tired of this place."

---------

Not quite one hour later, Larc was back up on the top floor with Elthrin; together, they were just putting the final enchantment on a bucket of otherwise normal sand.

"That's it, all done - I think," Elthrin sighed.

"Only one way to be sure," Larc replied. He picked up the bucket, and began to pour
the sand onto the cold, green flame. Sure enough, it sputtered, grew weaker, and eventually died out completely. Almost immediately, the howling of the wind outside ceased.

Elthrin went to one of the shuttered windows, and cautiously edged it open. He peeked through the narrow crack, then threw it wide. The clouds were still thick about the valley, but were visibly diminishing. The snow had stopped falling, and an almost warm breeze was beginning to blow - almost as if the weather was trying to make up for all the years that the mountain had been locked in snow and ice.

"We did it," Elthrin breathed softly, lost in wonder at the radical changes taking place before his eyes.

"Indeed we did," Larc replied, as he joined him at the window. Neither of them spoke for several minutes. "Let's go and inform the others," Larc said, eventually.

---------

After a few more hours, the snow had largely disappeared from the ground. Slayer had judged that it was now safe to travel, and the small band of adventurers had set out - accompanied by many of the mages from the tower.

"We'll take you to Pnyx, and introduce you," Slayer commented to Aldwin, as they reached the edge of the forest below. "After that, your futures will be in your own hands."

"Thank you," Aldwin replied. "You have no idea what this is like for us."

Slayer gazed around at the mages and magesses nearest him, who were in turn gazing in wonder at the forest around them. "They've never seen anything like this before," he realised, and smiled. "We're glad to have been able to help," he said out loud.

The thought of the troubles they'd left behind in the tower were only a minor blot on the horizon. Considering all that they'd achieved, Slayer felt very content. Their mission was over. The rest would keep for another day.

------------------
I will classify my lieutenants in three categories: untrusted, trusted, and completely trusted. Promotion to the third category will be awarded posthumously.

[This message has been edited by Overmind (edited 03-13-2002).]
I will classify my lieutenants in three categories: untrusted, trusted, and completely trusted. Promotion to the third category will be awarded posthumously.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users