• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Sorcery Tower

#51 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 January 2002 - 09:43 AM

Avatara stood in the doorway, clothing dripping wet from water, but all the snow had somehow vanished. Looking past him, one could see a small circle around the doorway where the snow tapered off into a shallow puddle of water.

Avatara smiled, "Trinias, you're a woodsman. Could you come over here please?" Trinias got up and joined him. "How good are you at predicting weather?" Avatara asked as they walked a short distance away, until they could see the mountains that were their destination.

"It looks like it will be a nice morning, but later this afternoon those clouds off to the North and the ones over there will have built up. I'd say....that's one storm I wouldn't want to be caught out in the open during it." Trinias remarked, after studying the sky for a minute. Currently, there was a vast area of chilled blue, but off to the North and the South over the mountains, dark clouds were far off. A light wind blew out of the West and a peaceful silence hung about the place.

"Well, we should get back and warn the others. I suggust we get moving quickly."

------------------
"I'm a controversial figure. My friends either dislike me or hate me."
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#52 User is offline   Violet 

• Group: Members

Posted 11 January 2002 - 05:14 PM

Soon Avatara and Trinias returned to the cabin. "It looks like another big storm is on its way." Avatara told the group. "Everyone needs to pack up quickly, we will be leaving soon." At that everyone started bustling about. "Oh well, I guess that ends breakfast." Violet said, and started to pack up her belongings. After half an hour everyone was ready.

"Are you sure we can trust Garendor, Violet?" Moonshadow asked. "I'm not positive, but somehow I have a feeling like he's OK *shrug*." she answered. Sya walked up, "Have you seen the clouds?", she pointed. "Yeah they seem to come closer every minute." said Violet. As the travelers walked on, the sky darkened. Sya and Violet walked up to see how Arsloss was faring. "Are the skins keeping you warm?" asked Sya. "Yesss, Thank you Ssya." he answered. After a while everybody stopped to rest and have a bite to eat. Violet pulled out some bread, cheese, and dried fruit. Just as everyone was settling in, there was a shriek. And all went still.

------------------
"Have you done 7 impossible things before lunch today?"

[This message has been edited by Violet (edited 01-11-2002).]

#53 User is offline   Trinias 

Posted 11 January 2002 - 06:57 PM

*** OoC ***
Good post, Violet Posted Image
*** BiC ***

Trinias pricked up his ears, and turned in the direction the cry had come from; the shriek had sounded distinctly humanoid. He scrambled to his feet, grabbing his bow, and loped off into the woods. The others followed his lead.

He made good time, dodging around trees and other obstacles, but keeping on a roughly true line in the direction of the sound. Some of the others couldn't manage the pace and lagged behind, but a few - notably the elves - managed to keep up.

Finally, they reached a clearing, and stopped dead in their tracks. Trinias gaped at the sight that confronted them.

------------------
On the other hand, you have different fingers.

[This message has been edited by Trinias (edited 01-18-2002).]

#54 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2002 - 07:53 PM

The others spread out from behind Trinias to see what he was staring at. Five others had followed Trinias- Moonshadow, Sya, Avatara, Garendor, and even Callie.

The six of them stared in horror at what they saw. A huge spider, at least eight feet tall, was standing at the other edge of the clearing. All eight of its eyes were milky white- apparently, it was blind. The spider had two sharp fangs and its thick body was covered in long, shaggy hair. Tied up to a tree with spider-silk, four people were sitting behind the spider- two men and two women.

They were apparently all unconscious and their arms were tied tightly with more spider-silk. None of them were moving, so they must be knocked out somehow.

The spider did not notice the five people (and one cat) standing in the clearing at first, but after a moment it noticed their presence and turned to face them. It waved its two front legs slowly, then began to crawl across the clearing towards them.

Everyone drew their weapons, ready to battle if need be. But the spider stopped halfway across the clearing. It lowered its front legs and waited, turning its head slowly back and forth.

Sya gripped her quarterstaff, waiting tensely (her bow was strapped to her back). Around her, she noticed the others doing the same. Even Callie was crouched down, ready to spring. Vaguely Sya wondered where the rest of their group was at that moment.

The great spider stood there a moment longer, still turning its head. It seemed to be looking for something, but nobody knew what.

Finally, it began walking again, slightly to the left of where they were waiting. Trinias and Moonshadow spread out to the left, Sya and Garendor spread out to the right, and Avatara waited in the center with Callie. The spider kept approaching.

Then suddenly, it stopped again. It lifted its four front legs and stood there, balancing on its hind legs and waiting. And then it struck.

------------------
Need a name??? Need a character??? I GOT LOTS!!!
Email me or visit my site at [url="http://"http://www.danicsoft.com/kat"]http://www.danicsoft.com/kat[/url]

[This message has been edited by iKaterei (edited 01-11-2002).]

#55 User is offline   Violet 

Posted 11 January 2002 - 08:51 PM

***OoC***
Thanks, Trinias I tried. Posted Image
***BiC***

While Trinias, Sya, Moonshadow, Avatara, Garendor, and Callie ran toward the sound, the others followed ( but a little more slowly). As Violet, Slayer, Arsloss, Rogan, Brink,and Talos came up behind the others, they saw the monstrous spider. As Violet stifled a scream, Slayer motioned for the six of them to sneak behind the monster.

When the six of them got in position, Rogan accidentedly sneezed. The monster paused for a second to glance behind it. The five men (one woman), quickly ducked and tried to hide as much of themselves as possible. The creature apparently deciding it didn't see anything, turned back to its prey.

Taking advantage of the monsters distraction, Trinias quickly notched an arrow. "If there is anytime to use your bow Sya." He whispered, "it's now." Feeling exhilarated Sya smiled back and got ready, this was the moment she had been waiting for.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Violet (edited 01-11-2002).]

#56 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2002 - 10:02 PM

[OoC]
Great post, Violet! (yet again) Posted Image I'm glad that you joined this TS, you're a good contribution. I'm going to wait for some other people post, though, before I post. (That's a blatant hint, peoples!) Posted Image
[BiC]

------------------
Email me or visit my site at [url="http://"http://www.danicsoft.com/kat"]http://www.danicsoft.com/kat[/url]

#57 User is offline   Trinias 

Posted 12 January 2002 - 01:10 AM

*** OoC ***
Yes, another good one!

It's cache though, Violet, not Trinias; check my location info Posted Image
<---
*** BiC ***

Fortunately, the spider's first strike had missed. Being blind, it seemed to be having difficulty finding its targets, and Avatara and Callie had moved nimbly aside.

"Don't worry too much about aim," Trinias called to Sya. "We won't kill this thing with arrows - at least, not quickly. Just try to keep it distracted, and let the others go to work on it!"

With that, he fired the arrow he'd notched. It penetrated the tough exoskeleton for about a third of its length, then burst into bright flame. The spider let out a hideous shriek.

"Wow," Trinias winced. "I didn't think it'd make that much noise!"

Moonshadow also had her bow out by this time, firing arrows into the enormous creature. Sya had a limited number of arrows, so she was being careful with her aim. Trinias could tell that her shots were underpowered for what the bow should have been capable of, and guessed she was making a common beginners mistake. He made a mental note to show her the correct method later, when there was time.

The spider swung towards Moonshadow and Trinas, seeking out the enemy that was causing it such intense pain; without a word, they moved apart to allow the arachnid to advance between them. Now there were two equally stinging attacks coming from either side.

Sya moved up beside Trinias. "Don't hold the arrow, hold the string," he said. "Watch me." She observed carefully as he notched and fired his next arrow, and nodded. Her next shot had more power, and followed a straighter course, and the one following that even managed to pierce the hide and hang there. Gradually, Sya gained in both skill and confidence.

The spider was thoroughly enraged by now, swinging from side to side to get at the prey that dared annoy it so; the archers gave ground as it turned towards them, and reclaimed it when it turned the other way, all the while maintaining the barrage of stinging arrows.

Seeing the beast was totally distracted, the other warriors advanced. Their weapons were drawn, their offensive spells were prepared; and their eyes showed no hint of mercy for this vile creature.

------------------

#58 User is offline   Violet 

Posted 12 January 2002 - 07:12 AM

***OoC***

Sorry Cache, my mistake. Posted Image

***BiC***

Violet pulled out her (short) sword. While Moonshadow, Trinias, and Sya were keeping the hideous creature company, The rest of the group advanced with weapons raised. The group waited until one of Trinias' deadly arrows was burrowed in the spiders skin. And then it happened. While the creature screamed in agony, everyone ran up and started hacking away at its flesh, there was going to be no mercy. Finally the spider rolled onto its back, exposing its stomach. Everyone hit him one last time and sat down to rest. A few of the men cut his neck, just to make sure. After a minute of rest, the travelers decided to look at the captives.

------------------

#59 User is offline   Majik Tiger 

Posted 12 January 2002 - 06:34 PM

The tiger man was crouched by an ash tree some distance from where everyone was gathered. He had been wounded badly by the spider, and was now apparently applying some kind of home made salve to the gash. He did manage to keep a steady catious eye on Arsloss though, they apparently were begining to dislike each other slightly. Garendor, however, refused to let the simple fact of not getting along intervene with his duty to protect the group.

The others were eyeing him, but keeping their distance because of a strong herbal smell coming from his direction. Then it soon apparent to Moonshadow, who had been paying the most attension to this creature he was not appliying salve at all, he was preparing some kind of leaf which he would roll with his calws, tie with yarn, and then put in his bag.

She pointed this out to Slayer, who approached the tigr. "What are you doing there, might I ask, Garendor?" he blatantly questioned.

After some time he muttered "Arr, The leaf. I must prepare my leaf, or thar sickness will come. The leaf helps aide me ina fighting, yes. I find it usefull, yet I, sadly am addicted. But enough of it," he shook his head "I have a question for you. Whar is it we are gioing?"

------------------
Ask not what your tiger can do for you...
Ask what you can do for your tiger

#60 User is offline   ferazel_09 

• lift your skinny fists like antennas in germany
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2002 - 07:08 PM

Callie walked up to one of the people trapped in the spider-silk and slashed a clean cut down the center. The silk fell off, and the person fell down. "Ouch!" the figure said. "Hector?" Talos said. "Yes, it is me. The spiders came and took me away, I have no idea why."

Callie nodded, and slashed at the second lump of spider-silk.

------------------
Those who know the truth are not up to those who love it; those who love the truth are not up to those who delight in it.
-- Confucius (a.k.a. Kong Fuzi)
------------------
Battle.Net Screen Name: ev3-ferazel The Game: StarCraft

[edit] Whee! 800 posts! [/edit]

[This message has been edited by ferazel_09 (edited 01-13-2002).]
And we're never gonna tour again.

#61 User is offline   Talos 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2002 - 09:56 PM

As Callie opened the second sack, Talos and Rogan used their weapons to slice open the third while Garendor and Sya sliced the fourth.

Slayer began to talk to Hector. "How did you get captured by this horrid thing?" He asked, "and where? Were these three other sacks your comrades?"

Hector replied, "I was travelling further south with a friend of mine, Gilgari. We were going to Kosha on business. To cut some time off the trip, we went off the road a little bit," he stuttered, "and ran across some strong, strange webs. Rather than heed the apparent warning, we began to cut through them. Soon, however, we found ourselves cutting stickier webs. One of my feet became stuck, and I tripped. Above me, I heard Gilgari run over to try and untangle me, and it sounded like he had become stuck as well... then, there was some noise, I blacked out, and this cat took me out." After observing the cutting of the sacs for a few seconds, he continued speaking, "however, I do not know who the other two sacs may contain, if Gilgari is even here."

Just as he finished, Rogan broke through to the inside of the third sac. Inside were the remains of a badly cut up, but living and recognizable, Gilgari. Hector ran over to help his hurt friend.

Before either could say anything, however, the second sac's contents began to fall out. Apparently, the spider had sucked the juices out of the unfortunate who had been captured and wrapped. Before anyone could comment, Garendor's sharp claws had penetrated the last sac. The person inside had obviously been stunned recently, and looked to be the source of the scream that had brought them there in the first place. She looked to be a forest nymph, and one certainly unsuited to the cold weather.

*OoC*

Please, I'd rather not have Hector and Gilgari join. Besides the fact that they'd have no member to back them, I don't think we need more people.

*BiC*

------------------
Bronze: the other gold metal.   | |   And so the space toaster hardened the outer layers of the doughy, ooey-gooey ancient Earth...
Bacchus Publishing: [url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/show.pl?product=evo&category=guides&display=date&file=ChroniclesByJake101.sit.hqx"]Chronicles by Jake101: the unposted chapters[/url].
Bronze: the other gold metal.   ||   And so the space toaster hardened the outer layers of the doughy, ooey-gooey ancient Earth...
Bacchus Publishing: [url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/show.pl?product=evo&category=guides&display=date&file=ChroniclesByJake101.sit.hqx"]Chronicles by Jake101: the unposted chapters[/url].

#62 User is offline   Trinias 

Posted 14 January 2002 - 12:53 AM

*** OoC ***
I agree Talos, they should be left out. But were you implying the forest nymph could stay? Posted Image
*** BiC ***

Slayer retrieved a purple Antidote potion from his pack, and force-fed it to the nymph; other than bringing a lttle colour back to her cheeks, it seemed to have no effect.

"Here, try this," Moonshadow said, handing him a brown potion. Slayer shrugged, and tried giving that to the nymph too. Her eyelids began to flutter, and she began to stir restlessly.

"A 'Free Motion' potion," Moonshadow explained, when Slayer glanced at her questioningly. "I was only carrying the one, since they're needed so rarely."

At that moment, the nymph shrieked and sat up. She subsided when she saw the people gathered around her, and no sign of the giant arachnid.

Trinias had been examining the dessicated body from the final webbed cocoon. "This one's been dead for some time, probably several years," he commented. "I'd guess it was a Huntsman."

The nymph's gaze focused on him as he spoke. With a gasp she leapt up, ran lightly over to him and grasped his hand in both of hers. "Lomara né, Alsonara ça Mélorin lé nomen, ka?"

Trinias looked at her in confusion, then around at everyone else. "Did anybody understand any of that?"

The nymph dropped his hand, looking embarrassed. "Forgive me, forester. For a brief moment, you reminded me of Lomara - that is, a Huntsman - people who used to live near here, long ago. Even though they killed some trees before their time, their people and mine shared much respect for each other."

She turned to the rest of the group. "I thank you all for rescuing me from that vile creature, whose kind have invaded our woods over the last few years."

As she spoke, she began to glow. Several tiny lights broke away from the glow, and one drifted towards each of the adventurers. As they alighted on each person's head, their bodies glowed briefly.

"By this mark my people, the Mélorin, will know you as friends. Mayhap we shall be able to repay your kindness, when you find yourselves in less happy circumstances. I must go now, they worry about me. Farewell!"

With that, she ran lightly away into the woods, and was quickly lost to sight.

"She didn't even tell us her name," Trinias laughed, highly amused.

"Alsonara!" they heard the nymph reply, her voice seeming to drift down from the forest canopy above.

*** OoC ***
In case anyone was wondering where I got the nymph's language from, I just made it up. Posted Image
*** BiC ***

------------------

[This message has been edited by Trinias (edited 01-15-2002).]

#63 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2002 - 08:47 PM

[OoC]
Ok, I was going to post (really I was!) but I have to get off the computer. I'll post soon as I can, tonight if I'm lucky but probably tomorrow.
[BiC]

------------------

#64 User is offline   ferazel_09 

• lift your skinny fists like antennas in germany
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2002 - 02:01 PM

The group continued on through the forest. Hector and Gilgari had departed back for Land King's Hall some time ago.* Soon, the group came to a large clearing, and many nimphs were there, including Alsonara. A large table was set out, and it heavy in food. A nymph that looked older and more important then the others began to talk in the nymph language. After that, all the nymphs started to clap, and he gestured everyone to sit down and eat.

** OoC. **

Sorry, need to leave the tech lab now.

* Talos: The magic sentance that sends them back Posted Image

------------------
Those who know the truth are not up to those who love it; those who love the truth are not up to those who delight in it.
-- Confucius (a.k.a. Kong Fuzi)
------------------
Battle.Net Screen Name: ev3-ferazel The Game: StarCraft
And we're never gonna tour again.

#65 User is offline   Talos 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2002 - 09:37 PM

Originally posted by ferazel_09:
The group continued on through the forest. Hector and Gilgari had departed back for Land King's Hall some time ago.*  Soon, the group came to a large clearing, and many nimphs were there, including Alsonara. A large table was set out, and it  heavy in food. A nymph that looked older and more important then the others began to talk in the nymph language. After that, all the nymphs started to clap, and he gestured everyone to sit down and eat.

** OoC. **

Sorry, need to leave the tech lab now.

* Talos: The magic sentance that sends them back  :P

*OoC*

Hrm hrm. I don't see why nymphs should be having a banquet in the middle of freezing cold weather... as I said, she appeared to be ill-suited to the place. Just because she said she would provide a favor doesn't mean she has to one post later. Thus, I kindly ask that you modify your post, to, uh, not include nymphs. ;-)

*BiC*

------------------
Bronze: the other gold metal.   | |   And so the space toaster hardened the outer layers of the doughy, ooey-gooey ancient Earth...
Bronze: the other gold metal.   ||   And so the space toaster hardened the outer layers of the doughy, ooey-gooey ancient Earth...

#66 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2002 - 10:16 PM

[OoC]
Well, I was going to do a post, and then Talos says ferazel should edit, so...I guess it's back to the drawing board...Of course, now that I've posted, ferazel won't be able to do anything there, but i said I would post. :/
[BiC]

They continued on down the path, checking the sky for any sign of a storm. Fortunately, the sky looked pretty clear. Sya dropped back to talk to Moonshadow.

"I noticed that you used a potion on the nymph back there. What did you say it was called?"

"It was a 'Free Motion'," Moonshadow explained. "I usually don't carry them, because they're not often needed, but luckily I happened to have one."

Sya nodded. "I've seen a lot of healing potions myself, but I've never seen that one used before. Then again, most of the healing I do is with herbs and plants, not potions. What about you?"

Moonshadow shrugged. "Most of the time I use potions or magic for healing. I find it easier, and often more effective. But if you're skilled in herbology, then I suppose using plants would be better."

"It's better for me, since I can't use magic," Sya grinned. "And a lot of simple healing methods are actually made with very common herbs, you just have to know how to mix them properly." She stopped to pick up Callie, who ws walking nearby, and petter the cat as she walked. "When I was younger, an old earthmage trained me in herbology in exchange for me working for him..."

"Oh really? Where did you live?"

"Catamarca- I grew up there. I always wanted to travel, though, so I came to Cademia and joined this quest."

Moonshadow nodded. "I'n glad you came. Anyways," she glanced up at the sun, "I think we'll be stopping soon. It's beginning to get dark."

------------------

#67 User is offline   Trinias 

Posted 15 January 2002 - 11:51 PM

*** OoC ***
Probably for the best, Kat. If we waited for Ferazel to edit, we'd be stalled for ages Posted Image. I was about to congratulate him on making three consecutive story posts that didn't require alteration, too Posted Image; but now that Talos has pointed out the problem, I have to agree with him.
*** BiC ***

As night fell, the band stopped in a convenient clearing for the night. They soon had a fire going in the centre, and Violet started cooking dinner. Some of the group began pitching tents, while others preferred to sleep under the stars; strangely, they'd left all sign of snow behind them less than half a day's walk from the cabin.

Moonshadow was sitting on a rock, some distance away from the fire, alone. The fire was a little too warm for her liking, but most of the others had crowded as close as they could, perhaps remembering the freezing cold of the previous night.

Trinias crept quietly towards her from behind, using his utmost skill to avoid being detected. She suddenly looked back, spying him almost instantly.

"Trinias? What are you doing?"

Trinias sighed, abandoning all attempt at silence. "I was testing a theory," he said, as he sat down beside her. "You heard me pretty easily, didn't you."

"Of course," Moonshadow replied, although it had seemed to be more of a statement than a question.

"That's what I thought. I'm a little worried about Sya. There's no way I should be able to sneak up on an elf, but I've done it to her, twice - and I wasn't even trying! She also missed the diminishing birdsound that first day, although she noticed once I'd drawn her attention to it."

Moonshadow frowned in thought. "Yes, I can see why you're concerned. I'll see what I can find out, later."

Trinias smiled; to his way of thinking, that meant the problem was as good as solved. "Thanks, I'd appreciate it."

"Oh, by the way," Moonshadow continued. "About that question of yours this morning..."

---------

Slayer stared up at the sky, and towards the mountain range that was their destination. Above them, the sky was totally clear and free of clouds; the stars twinkled with astonishing clarity and brightness.

The mountains were a different story. The clouds still hung, dark and menacing - precisely where they'd have to go. He called Avatara and Talos over and pointed it out.

"That looks even nastier than last night's storm. I can't help thinking about that storm in the old man's story back at the tavern, the one that cut off all access to the tower. Do you think it's a coincidence?"

"If not," Talos replied, "then it must be generated magically. That would explain a lot, especially the swiftness and localised area of the storm last night."

Avatara nodded. "If that's true, then it means the people in the tower must have had some success in their mission. It also makes it likely that someone is still alive up there."

The three old comrades fell silent, staring up at the mountains. Each felt that this mission had, somehow, just gotten tougher.

------------------

#68 User is offline   Moonshadow 

• PipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2002 - 02:39 PM

Moonshadow looked up at Trinias with a smile. "Of course I will teach you to read, even though that might prove a little difficult under these circumstances." She gestured about vaguely. "But you must already know some other letters; at least M. Now, if you told me which other letters -" She stopped quite suddenly, tilting her head, as if listening. "You prepared dinner again, right?"
Violet jumped; the two had seemed so deep in conversation. Trinias turned around, a grin on his face as if he had heard her coming, which, indeed, he hadn't. *His* attention had been focused on the conversation.
Violet nodded. "Yes; I just came to tell you."
"Thanks." Moonshadow smiled gratefully and got up. "Well, Trinias, let's postpone this until after dinner. I like cold weather, but not cold food." She turned back to look at the clouds, hanging low over the mountains. "Even though..." She muttered, barely audibly, making a mental note to talk to Slayer. These clouds, as well as the blizzard the other day, made every appearance of being of magical, rather than natural origin. If they were somehow triggered by their approach, it would be better to send somebody ahead to find out about the terrain. That way, they would know where to find shelter if a storm rose. A snow falcon would surely not attract attention; after all, yet another animal wouldn't make a difference there.
"Are you coming?" Violet asked. She and Trinias had already walked a few paces, when Violet had stopped, noticing that Moonshadow was still standing next to the rock, and decided to wait for the elf.
Moonshadow looked up, a little startled, but then hurried to catch up to them. Violet smiled and turned to Trinias. "Would you mind showing me how to make those pancakes? I'd really like to know the recipe, we have plenty of time, and besides, I don't think anybody would actually mind eating them again."
"Trinias!" Sya jumped up from her place by the fire. "You know, I've thought about that fight we had today, with the spider, and... I really need to learn how to make better use of the bow you gave me! I'm sure I didn't do nearly enough damage to the creature... if I did any at all. And I just thought, it's a clear night, and sight is astonishingly well. Would you mind showing me how to use the bow again?"
Trinias looked from one Violet to Sya helplessly, then looked back at Moonshadow, only now noticing that the elf had slipped away quietly, having anticipated this dilemma upon seeing Sya approach. She really didn't feel like getting caught up in it.

------------------
As l lay in my bed staring at the sky I asked myself:
Where the hell did the roof go?
I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

#69 User is offline   Talos 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2002 - 09:54 PM

As dinner was ready, Moonshadow was roused. The hungry comrades quickly began to eat and drink. Rogan and Talos consumed a fair bit of wine. There was the standard light conversation.

"What was that?" Slayer said rather loudly and unexpectedly.

Talos replied, "Slayer! You need to relax... all these spiders and nymphs," he continued joyfully, "are getting you too excited! Come on, loosen up! Have some wine, loosen up."

"No, I'm quite, very, sure that I saw something."

"Nah, you're just worried because of those menacing clouds... overhead..." Talos stuttered, looking up at black clouds above.

Dinner continued more quietly with the ominous clouds lying overhead. Despite it being Rogan's turn for watch, it was decided that he was not in the best shape for a job that required one's wits to be sharp. Avatara agreed to watch.

The night plodded along, with little sign of disturbance or any other ill on their grassy field. Avatara, quite sure that nothing would be creeping up, even dimmed his lantern to little more than a flicker. As he sat, he began to feel a little drowsy... sleepy. To revive himself, he stood up and took a brisk jog around the encampment. He noticed however, slight flecks of moisture touching his face.

"Oh no... I can't believe we forgot about that. Trinias was right!" Avatara mumbled. He brightened his lantern, and his worst fears were revealed. Snow was falling in droves. In his sleepiness, he must not have noticed it... or had it picked up? As he thought back, he realized that he must have slept a few minutes before jogging. Bright lightning, accompanied by loud thunder, shook and brightened the sky, as the snow fell faster. It was obvious that they could not stay in the field. They could be buried in the snow, or struck by lightning if the thunderstorm became worse.

The thunder had woken a few people, but the heavier sleepers had continued. Avatara went from bag to bag rousing people, warning them of the danger of the snow and the lightning. It took the party about ten minutes to wake and get everything packed. They made a run for the forest, where they would have more protection from the elements. As the many members composed themselves, Slayer said:

"The storm that Trinias predicted appears to be upon us. We cannot stay in the forest, it is too dangerous. We will have to find another cave. Thus, we have two choices: either we can go back to where we had sheltered before, or we can attempt to move forward to the mountains. I would guess they are of equal distance, although the foot of the mountains may be a bit further."

Talos stepped forward, and said, "I am for moving forward to the mountains. We cannot tarry here forever, and if we move backwards we may be holed up in some cave for days, even weeks."

He then looked at his comrades, and each thought of the two choices.

------------------

#70 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 January 2002 - 09:58 PM

"I must agree with Talos. This is two nights in a row we've been hit by a storm, and a few of us even think its magical. If we keep turning back, we will never get there. We need to press onward." Avatara urged the group.

------------------
"I'm a controversial figure. My friends either dislike me or hate me."
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#71 User is offline   Trinias 

Posted 16 January 2002 - 10:12 PM

"I agree," Trinias said. "If we keep running back to the cabins at the first sign of trouble, we'll never get anywhere. We should go on, although I know that'll be hard on you, Arsloss."

------------------

[This message has been edited by Trinias (edited 01-16-2002).]

#72 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2002 - 11:43 PM

Sya nodded. "We've got to go on. Going back is useless, we'd never find our way through the forest in a storm. We can't stay here, so going forward is our only option." She glanced around at everyone. "And if these storms are magical, chances are they'll occur every night, and worse as we get closer to the mountain. So if we go back the storms won't be as bad, but we'll never get anywhere if the storms keep happening."

------------------

#73 User is offline   Violet 

Posted 17 January 2002 - 02:41 PM

Violet looked around at the other adventurers, all of their points made sense. "I to agree, we should move toward the mountains. Every time we go back, it's harder to go forward." she said.

------------------

#74 User is offline   Trinias 

Posted 17 January 2002 - 06:35 PM

Trinias paused a moment to admire the view. Cold and foreboding as it was, the snow settling on the trees, against the dark, cloudy sky, with the snow-covered, cloud-capped mountains as a backdrop, presented an almost beautiful scene. The occasional flashes of lightning (most unusual in a snow-storm) simply served to liven things up a bit.

After the group had decided to press on, Moonshadow had volunteered to scout ahead. She was most annoyed when Slayer insisted she take someone else along for safety, but had finally settled on Trinias as the least likely to slow her down.

Trinias had suppressed a smile on hearing that. Although he'd never witnessed Moonshadow do it, he'd guessed long ago about her ability to transform - shortly after seeing Brianna do it for the first time. It explained so much of what had happened at the Air Castle, and on later occasions.

Sure enough, after they were well out of sight of the others, she'd suddenly turned into the snow falcon and flown up into the air. However, he was still shocked when he heard her voice echo inside his mind.

Did I surprise you?

He quickly marshalled his thoughts. No, I guessed about your ability to change. This communication is a surprise, though.

I'll scout ahead. You follow as best you can, and I'll let you know if I see anything promising.

OK.

The falcon flew up into the sky, and was soon almost lost to sight. Trinias trudged on through the now ankle deep snow; he made no effort to conceal his tracks, he knew the others would be following them.

After a while, he felt that strange other presence in his mind again. By the way, how did you resolve your little 'problem' last night? Moonshadow asked. He could feel the sense of amusement that she allowed to pass through the link.

Well, I panicked at first. Then I asked myself, 'what would Flynn do?' That was easy to answer - he'd never have gotten himself into that mess in the first place.

Trinias could imagine just what Flynn would have said, if he'd been there: 'Trinias, every action has a consequence. If you keep flirting with every attractive girl you meet, sooner or later you're going to get in trouble.'

He sighed to himself. It was good advice, but he just couldn't help it - he was drawn to beautiful girls like a moth to a flame; but the moment things looked like getting too serious, he panicked. Maybe stability would come with age.

Anyway, he continued, then I asked myself what Wolmark would do. That was easy too - he'd have thought it out logically. Well, I'm not the thinker he is, but I thought I'd give it a try. I told Violet that I couldn't really tell her the recipe, I'd have to show her; so that was best left to breakfast time. Then, even though it was really too dark in spite of the bright stars, I gave Sya a shooting lesson; I figured there wouldn't be time today, anyway. They both seemed to understand my reasoning, and I hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings. And I'll keep my promise to Violet too, when we finally get around to breakfast, later.

I see. And how did the lesson go?

Well, I think. She was getting a sore wrist, from the backlash from the string; so I cut off a tough piece of leather from this pelt I'm wearing, from the Huntsmen's village. When she inserted that into her glove, she had no more trouble. Her power and aim improved considerably after that.

Moonshadow was rather amused; that wasn't exactly what she'd meant, but it was so like Trinias to focus on the practical aspects.

Hold on, she thought suddenly, I think I see something...

Trinias halted. A few minutes later, the falcon swooped down beside him and transformed back into Moonshadow.

"There's what looks to be a good sized cave not far ahead; we should check it out. It's this way." She ran off lightly over the snow. Trinias took a moment to note that, as good a tracker as he was, he could barely make out her trail.

------------------

#75 User is offline   iKaterei 

• lazy harp seal
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2002 - 09:23 PM

Sya stayed relatively silent as they followed Moonshadow and Trinias's path through the snow. She was going over the previous night's lesson in her head. It had gone fairly well, at least after Trinias gave her the rawhide to put in her glove. She still had a slight blister but it didn't bother her much. Her strength and accuracy wasn't as good as she'd hoped, but it was only her second time after all.

After a time, her thoughts switched from the lesson to Trinias. He had decided to teach her to use the bow, instead of showing Violet how to make the pancakes- but she really doubted he had any preferences to her over Violet. After all, he had said that it would be better to help Violet in the morning.

Sighing, Sya looked up and peered around into the darkness, wondering where Moonshadow and Trinias were. She hoped they were ok- both of them- and that maybe they had found some sort of shelter. The clouds were getting darker and it was looking more like a blizzard every minute.

Within minutes, though, they had come back, so silently that only a few had heard them return. Moonshadow turned to Slayer. "We found a cave up ahead. It's large enough for all of us, and the entrance is facing out of the wind so snow probably won't blow in."

Slayer nodded. "Thanks, both of you. You'll have to lead us there- is it very far?"

"Not too far," Trinias replied, shaking his head. He glanced up at the darkening sky. "If we hurry we can make it before it gets completely dark- and before the storm," he added.

A quarter of an hour later, they arrived at the cave. They had made pretty good time down the path. The entrance to the cave was around the back, so they walked over and Moonshadow led the way in.

It was a good, big cave, with plenty of room for everyone, and at least fifteen feet high. It was cold near the front, but much warmer near the back where the outside air hadn't got in. Slayer nodded approvingly. "We need two people to go out and get some firewood. Any volunteers?"

Talos and Rogan both offered to go out again. They wore their warmest clothes, because it was beginning to get very cold and windy out. The storm would probably be right over their cave within an hour.

"Hurry back," Slayer shouted after their retreating forms. He turned back to the rest of the group, who had begun to unpack their bedrolls. "It's getting dangerous to go out after dark. We'll have to be very careful as we get closer to the mountain."

Everyone nodded in response. Sya finished making up her bed on the cave floor and she set her bag down next to it. As she did so, she noticed that Violet was just finishing making her bed, so Sya walked over.

"Hey, Violet, don't worry about making dinner tonight. You work so hard all the time to make our meals, so I think we should give you a break." Sya was trying hard to be nice to Violet and not let any feelings for Trinias interfere.

Violet stood up. "Thanks!" she said. "I'll probably be making breakfast tomorrow, anyways, if Trinias shows me how to make those pancakes."

Sya nodded, feeling slightly guilty. It was her fault that Trinias hadn't had the time to help Violet earlier. She shook her head to clear away those thoughts and went to unpack the cooking supplies.

Rogan and Talos came back after awhile, each carrying an armful of firewood and looking very cold and snowy. The snow had begun to fall, but it was still light. Avatara quickly lit the fire, and Sya started cooking the bicuits that she had prepared. The smell drifted to the back of the cave where Brink was sitting. He sniffed appreciatively.

"That smells good!" Brink commented. "Is that Violet's cooking?"

Violet shook her head. "No, Sya is making dinner tonight. It does smell good, though!"

Sya grinned. "Biscuits are the only decent thing I can make, though. Don't count on me to cook anything else!"

------------------

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users