• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ask Slug III

#26 User is offline   Patrick 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 July 2001 - 01:44 PM

Originally posted by brookeview:
That great if you have two stations that you know which one will be destroyed first. But how can i make it work with them if either could be destroyed first. And how can I expand it to more than two if any station can be destroyed at any time?

That will work no matter what order the stations are destroyed in:

Condition 0
If Station 1 is destroyed, activate condition 1

Condition 1(Initially Inactive)
If Station 2 is destroyed, DeclareWinner for player 0

Even if station 2 is destroyed first, condition 1 will be inactive and will not activate it's DeclareWinner sequence until Station 1 is destroyed, making the condition active and declaring the human player to be the winner.

If you want to do it for more than two events such as stations being destroyed or planets being captured, just string the events together in a chain:

Condition 0
If Station 1 is destroyed, activate condition 1.

Condition 1(Initially Inactive)
If Station 2 is destroyed, activate condition 2.

Condition 2(Intially Inactive)
If Station 3 is destroyed, declare player 0 the winner
[EDIT: Hey, it's my 256th post!]
------------------
GR Name: Sgt. Patrick[EL]
[url="http://"http://www.obain.f2s.com/eastlegion.html"]Eastlegion HQ[/url]
My upcoming Ares TC:
[url="http://"http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/webboard/Forum13/HTML/000216.html"]Wrath Of The Fallen[/url]

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-01-2001).]

#27 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2001 - 02:20 PM

That works too, Patrick, but it's a tad too complicated. What if you had a mission where you had to destroy 2 stations out of 4? Or 2 out of 2? In Iron Fist I used a different system. Each time a station is destroyed, it sets off a counter. When the counter reaches a certain value, the player wins. That way, is destroying 2 stations is too easy, you can make the level a bit harder by simply setting the required counter value to 3.

Let's say there are 4 stations in the level, and your mission is to destroy 3.

1) If (station 1) is destroyed,
>Set counter 0,0 to +1

2) If (station 2) is destroyed,
>Set counter 0,0 to +1

3) If (station 3) is destroyed,
>Set counter 0,0 to +1

4) If (station 4) is destroyed,
>Set counter 0,0 to +1

5) If counter 0,0 = 3
>DeclareWinner player 0

It involves more conditions, but is easier to change around, should you change your mind. If you want to set it so the player has to destroy all 4 stations:

5) If counter 0,0 = 4
>DeclareWinner player 0

------------------
Time is the best teacher, yet it kills all of it's students.
[image removed]

#28 User is offline   brookeview 

• PipPip

Posted 01 July 2001 - 04:38 PM

Thanks you guys.

------------------
Creator of the great new plugin for ares "Earth's Journey Back To The Stars"
The guy with no artistic ability what so ever...

Ares plugins to date: Earth's Journey Back To The Stars, Scenario Contest and Cantharan vs. Ishiman.
Ares plugins in development: Star Trek: Ares, Viva La Resistance.

#29 User is offline   Count Altair El Alemein 

• PipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2001 - 07:34 PM

Just for argument's sake, there's an easier way. Go into the object editor and alter the destruction sequence of a power station so it gives counter 1 1 point.

#30 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2001 - 10:02 PM

But you would have to make another kind of station just for that, which is complicated.

------------------
[image removed]

#31 User is offline   Count Altair El Alemein 

• PipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2001 - 11:36 PM

I don't see why you would need to make another station. I have a freighter that wins the level once it lands, but since only 1 level in which there are freighters is a landing one, having that is ok.

#32 User is offline   brookeview 

• PipPip

Posted 03 July 2001 - 10:56 PM

How do I get a mission to end if a certain ship gets to a certain object.I have a ship that when it reaches a jumpgate it jumps out of the system using the land at action. I used a proximity condition but if the player is not looking at the ship at the time it jumps out of the system the mission ends in defeat. In this mission you will most likely not be able to see the ship at all when it jumps.

------------------
Creator of the great new plugin for ares "Earth's Journey Back To The Stars". Have a nice day.

Ares plugins to date: Earth's Journey Back To The Stars, Scenario Contest and Cantharan vs. Ishiman.

#33 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2001 - 04:48 PM

How do I get a mission to end if a certain ship gets to a certain object.I have a ship that when it reaches a jumpgate it jumps out of the system using the land at action. I used a proximity condition but if the player is not looking at the ship at the time it jumps out of the system the mission ends in defeat. In this mission you will most likely not be able to see the ship at all when it jumps.

that's odd. Check the conditions and make sure it doesn't end in defeat for the player.

------------------
[image removed]

#34 User is offline   brookeview 

• PipPip

Posted 04 July 2001 - 05:13 PM

Everything is correct. I do have a condition to end in defeat if the ship is destroyed. It goes on to a harder level than if you won. Mabey ares thinks the transport is being destroyed.

On a side note when a ship lands does it expire when it gets out of sight or does it just disappear? And how do you set a ship so the player can't take command of it.

------------------
Creator of the great new plugin for ares "Earth's Journey Back To The Stars". Have a nice day.

#35 User is offline   Lord Commander Anic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2001 - 06:21 PM

Another question for you. This time ResEdit, which I barely know how to start and stop, let alone use.

This concerns Starmap placement into a plug. I opened the starmap in ResEdit, took a screen shot of it and opened that screen shot in Photoshop, modified the map, saved as a pict, correct colour table, correct pixel dimensions, correct file size. I then opened this file in ResEdit and pasted it into my plug in place of the original Ares Map. Marvelously easy one might imagine, except, it didn't work. What I get when I open my map in Ares is a pixelated thing weighing in at approximately one ninth of its original size, and it would appear one ninth of the data, but opening at the correct screen pixel dimensions. What have I missed? It seemed so simple... Any help gratefully appreciated...

------------------
Oh, so it is another bug hunt then...

#36 User is offline   Lord Commander Anic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 July 2001 - 06:38 PM

oops! this is rather embarassing. I, er forgot to save my starmap as a pict resource...
Of course it works. You can ignore the last question... It's the sort of thing the proverbial *****anzee and two trainees would have known, trouble is, never a ***** around when you need one to do your thinking for you!

------------------

#37 User is offline   brookeview 

• PipPip

Posted 11 July 2001 - 07:37 PM

I bet the answer to this is no but I thought I might ask anyway. Is there any to change what the game does when it is demo mode. Having one of my levels shown with a ship flying in random directions is silly?

------------------

#38 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2001 - 04:06 PM

I intend to decode the nlrp data... but then I can't now of course and there isn't anything else to do it with at this point.

------------------
"Once, just once, I'd like to be able to land somewhere and say, 'Behold, I am the Archangel Gabriel.'"
"I fail to see the humor in that situation, Doctor."
"Naturally. You could hardly claim to be an angel with those pointed ears, Mister Spock. But say you landed someplace with a pitchforkŅ"

#39 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2001 - 10:59 PM

I bet the answer to this is no but I thought I might ask anyway. Is there any to change what the game does when it is demo mode. Having one of my levels shown with a ship flying in random directions is silly?

Nup. Nathan Lamont forgot to take that out of Ares when a plug is loaded. Nonetheless, I've seen some "interesting" demos with StarLance....

------------------
[image removed]

#40 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2001 - 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Lord Commander Anic:
Another question for you. This time ResEdit, which I barely know how to start and stop, let alone use.

This concerns Starmap placement into a plug. I opened the starmap in ResEdit, took a screen shot of it and opened that screen shot in Photoshop, modified the map, saved as a pict, correct colour table, correct pixel dimensions, correct file size. I then opened this file in ResEdit and pasted it into my plug in place of the original Ares Map. Marvelously easy one might imagine, except, it didn't work. What I get when I open my map in Ares is a pixelated thing weighing in at approximately one ninth of its original size, and it would appear one ninth of the data, but opening at the correct screen pixel dimensions. What have I missed? It seemed so simple... Any help gratefully appreciated...

Hmm... First of all, you do not need to take a screenshot, you simply open the picture with ResEdit and select Edit>Copy to get it into your clipboard. The reason you got the pic all teeny and pixeled is you posted JPEG or JPG data in there and Ares tried to read that as PICT data. Simply open the full-size picture using your favorite paint program (PhotoShop, Graphic Converter, etc.), select the whole thing, go back into Resedit and paste the picture (giving it an ID of 8000).

------------------
[image removed]

#41 User is offline   Vice Admiral Ipvicus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2001 - 11:21 PM

Okay this is my first Hera question for my first plug. How do i move PICTs between plugs?

------------------
Out ride the sons of Terra,
Far dirves the thundering jet,
Up leaps the race of Earthmen,
Out, far, and onward yet - Robert A. Heinlein, The Green Hills of Earth
Out ride the sons of Terra, Far dirves the thundering jet,
Up leaps the race of Earthmen, Out, far, and onward yet - Robert A. Heinlein, The Green Hills of Earth
"Saddam Hussein foregoes weapons of mass destruction [and] values human life." George W. Bush

#42 User is offline   Patrick 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2001 - 08:12 AM

Originally posted by Vice Admiral Ipvicus:
Okay this is my first Hera question for my first plug. How do i move PICTs between plugs?

Get ResEdit from the EV/O addons and just copy and paste between them.

------------------
GameRanger SN: Col. Patrick [EL]

#43 User is offline   brookeview 

• PipPip

Posted 26 July 2001 - 04:55 PM

I can't seem to find the place to add my own credits to my plugins. The hera docs say that it is located in TEXT ID 6500 but I can't find it. I have looked through every item in the long text editor in hera and even looked for it using res edit in my plugin files. It seems not to be anywhere.

------------------

#44 User is offline   brookeview 

• PipPip

Posted 26 August 2001 - 06:43 PM

Just wondering...
Do weapon objects like a missile launcher take up a place in the maximum number of ships if so, does that mean that you will hit max things earlier if you have more ships that have more weapons on them? And what is the maximum number of things that can exist at any given time?

[edit]On more thing, what program is used to take in-game screen shots of Ares? I don't think Snapz Pro X will work.[/edit]
------------------
EVN started out as a plugin too...
[url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/dl-redirect.pl?path=ares/scenarios&file=Earths%20Journey.sit.hqx"]Earth's Journey Back To The Stars[/url]
[url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/brookeview2"]My download page[/url]

[This message has been edited by brookeview (edited 08-26-2001).]

#45 User is offline   Patrick 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2001 - 07:11 PM

Just wondering...
Do weapon objects like a missile launcher take up a place in the maximum number of ships if so, does that mean that you will hit max things earlier if you have more ships that have more weapons on them? And what is the maximum number of things that can exist at any given time?

[edit]On more thing, what program is used to take in-game screen shots of Ares? I don't think Snapz Pro X will work.[/edit]

1. No. The max number of objects is 256. This includes: Planets, Orbital Bases, Ships and Shots.
2. To take screenshots, depending on whether you're in X or 7/8/9:
MacOS Classic:
1. Use the built-in screencapture tool(Command-Shift-3)
2. Use Snapz Pro 1/2.
3. Use another 3rd-party tool.
MacOS X:
1. Use Grab(X's built-in screencapture utility)
2. Use Snapz Pro X.
3. Use another screencapture tool that's native to X.

------------------
GameRanger SN: Col. Patrick [EL]

#46 User is offline   brookeview 

• PipPip

Posted 26 August 2001 - 07:14 PM

Thanks

------------------
Ares Extended: EV:NOVA started out as a plugin too...
[url="http://"http://www.ambrosiasw.com/cgi-bin/vftp/dl-redirect.pl?path=ares/scenarios&file=Earths%20Journey.sit.hqx"]Earth's Journey Back To The Stars[/url]
[url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/brookeview2"]My download page[/url]

#47 User is offline   spacecowboy 

• PipPip

Posted 08 September 2001 - 09:11 PM

Gots a question for Slug: on your add-on file called 'Strata Exports', I con't open the files unless I have StrataVision. Where do I get it, and (although I hate to bring this into it) how much does it cost?

------------------
"Only In America/Where We Dream In Red White & Blue/Only In America/Where We Dream As Big As We Want To/Only In America/"
-- Brooks & Dunn, "Only In America"
Suddenly, the little scoutship disappeared and then reappeared right behind the alien warfleet. The gravitic ship's captain hailed the armada. "You are going to be destroyed, but I will give you a choice as to how you want to spend eternity: big pieces, little pieces, or quarks?"
Dead silence.
"Quarks it is, then."

#48 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2001 - 11:15 PM

Originally posted by spacecowboy:
Gots a question for Slug: on your add-on file called 'Strata Exports', I con't open the files unless I have StrataVision.  Where do I get it, and (although I hate to bring this into it) how much does it cost?

Well, StrataVision is no longer available (unless you have the Nov '98 issue of MacAddict CD), but you can get Strata 3D from: [url="http://"http://www.strata.com"]strata.com[/url]

------------------
[image removed]

#49 User is offline   Skyfox 

• Savage
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2001 - 06:15 PM

Is there a way to make a laser shoot in a diffrent direction than forwards?
I don't mean a turret i mean a laser that always shoots at an angle, having lasers shoot off like / or straight back?

I was working on a plug with 14 missions. I linked them all, and set a timer so that i could go all the way through with out having to do combat. However at mission 10 ares would quit.
I don't know why, I didn't overload it with too many ships or sprites.

------------------
He is no fool who gives what he can't keep, to gain what he can't lose.
"Not even time to finish my cake?"
NO. THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU, THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.

- Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

#50 User is offline   brookeview 

• PipPip

Posted 27 September 2001 - 07:30 PM

Not sure about the lasers... I'll check when I have a chance.

As for the quiting... It's hard to say without seeing exactaly what you did in you file but you might want to dubble check all of your conditions and make sure you didn't type something in wrong.

------------------
9/11/01...
The saddest day in American history...
[url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/brookeview2/"]Earth's Journey v2.0 screen shots[/url]

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users