Ambrosia Software Web Board: Brainstorming Session - Ambrosia Software Web Board

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Brainstorming Session

#26 User is offline   Joveia 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 December 2001 - 02:49 AM

That sounds a little bit cliched Vegeta.

------------------
There are only 3 kinds of people: those who can count, and those who can't.
There are only 3 kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't.

#27 User is offline   Joveia 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2001 - 02:59 AM

I mean, I think the Master/create new races thing has been tried a little bit too much. It's in the current RPG, it's also in several games, and it's prevalent in too much sci-fi fiction. I think we should leave out super races for this RPG... relegate God to a more background role. Also, I believe that humanity is the only race in this RPG. One thing I like...

------------------

#28 User is offline   Talon Karrde 

• EUnuch
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2001 - 05:39 AM

Heh, those names remind me of a site... Posted Image

Originally posted by Joveia:

Teledrill: A large, lumbering hulk outfitted with a powerful laser. It's purpose would be to disable the stasis fields on an enemy ships to allow more powerful weapons to destroy it.

Fusion Heat: A small cruiser with a limited supply of torpedoes. These ships would use the long-range of the torpedoes to assist in the destruction of enemy ships.

This is true, but the heat is lost quickly.

There is nothing to diffuse light energy in space.

------------------
'Do you want to allow eine DLL-Datei als Anwendung ausführen to access the Internet?' -What happens when you try to run an english program under the german version of Windows
conform now. conform now. conform now.
differences cause conflicts. conforming is happiness.
join us. express your commonality. copy and paste.

Boom bam as I step in the jam, God damn.

#29 User is offline   Joveia 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2001 - 06:10 AM

Originally posted by Talon Karrde:
Heh, those names remind me of a site... Posted Image

Same here. We must be twins! Posted Image

This is true, but the heat is lost quickly.

In atmosphere, it would be lost fairly quickly, but space is a fantastic insulator. This is why astronauts need space suits with coolers. Anyway, I'd like someone to thoroughly investigate the whole matter with lasers and space, just to clear this whole thing up Posted Image

------------------

#30 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2001 - 12:47 PM

Hmm, wouldn't the laser begin to lose focus over great distances and therefore be somewhat ineffective at extreme distances

------------------
Time is the best teacher, yet it kills all of it's students.
[image removed]

#31 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 December 2001 - 09:10 PM

Originally posted by Slug:
Hmm, wouldn't the laser begin to lose focus over great distances and therefore be somewhat ineffective at extreme distances

After a point, enough of the energy would dissipitate that it would not be effective at all.

------------------
"I'm a controversial figure. My friends either dislike me or hate me."
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#32 User is offline   Joveia 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2001 - 12:57 AM

They use lasers to measure exactly how far away i.e. Mars is from Earth. I believe the laser is reflected back and they pick it up.

------------------

#33 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2001 - 07:52 PM

The whole laser dissipation thing really depends on what you want the laser to do. A laser that produces a tiny dot when fired from Earth to Mars could probably cut through a person instantly at ranges of a mile or more.

I'd say cutting lasers of the future would be short range, because at really large ranges (Sun to Mars, say) really tiny shocks (somebody walking by the turret) could put the beam off-target. I'm pretty sure that those laser-measuring tricks used an auto-lockon system with the mirror somehow signaling its position, which I doubt the enemy would be considerate enough to do.

Further caste ideas -

The master class might not be quite as strong as possible, enabling the military class to more easily handle coups and drunken aristocrat spoiled brats. Also, they might have advanced tissue regeneration and organ regrowth technology, enabling them to survive (If I get Sarg right, the master caste's main fear is of death, and thus cling to life as hard as they can).

The millitary/hero cast might have a partial hive mind rigged cyberneticly for their communications purposes, somewhat like an internet inside their heads. The "central server", or leader of the millitary/hero caste, might accompany the Emperor/President/whatever around to recieve their orders, as well as supply protection.
They might be a lot like Replicants, except their lifespans end when they age beyond peak functionality, which will be put off as long as possible via aging-slowing gene-altering. Also, some consideration should be put into if they have childhoods at all or not.

Further, they might have free will, but simply have an immense, all-overriding love of their masters (like dogs). This avoids situations, popular in speculative fiction, where the (usually evil) leader dies because his mindless army drones don't help without orders. Also, they might be as good looking as their masters, because they'd be what all sorts of people look up to (other, less pleasant reasons could be given).

The intel caste would most likely be nondescript and very adaptable, in order to appear in as large a variety of guises as possible. They might also have some sort of undetectable silent communications method. Further, they would have very little loyalty (there have been recorded instances of spies actually BECOMING whom they impersonated and opposing their masters). They would have as many wierd powers as the government could research, but as many of them as possible (most likely all) would be useless on the military.

The intel caste would be even more amoral (by our standards) than the masters.

I considered a "Courtesan" caste, but wondered if enough maturity was available on the boards for it. Something about "everything is for sale." put this in my head - maybe we could do an "actor" caste, which LOOKS like the master-caste, but has only ordinary powers. They're a sub-caste of the "average joe" caste. Just insert your own starlet joke here.

Also, I'm not sure the hard/dangerous labor caste is needed - couldn't robots do all that with much less expense and bother?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now for some ship ideas:

Since biological computers are now possible in theory, and it is also possible to make them as efficient as comparable metal/silicon ones, the mil-caste crew of warships might also serve as the ship's computer, in a sort of "Beowulf cluster" arrangement. A group mind refered to as the "ship mind" might be formed, coordinating the ship's activities.

Drones/Puppeteer - Basically, a puppeteer is a large ship that's devoted to storing and controling drones. The drones are armed with a small laser or two. Their purpose is to either fly over into the enemy fleet and blast sensor windows, stasis generators, and anything else small and vulnerable (think Luke vs Death Star) or to stay with their fleet and blast incoming drones. Drones are as small as possible, and are little more than ion engines strapped to guns. The puppeteer controls them - alternatively, the puppeteer might be all AI-run and break apart into drones.

Defense ships - These especially nasty bizaches string massive wires out in from of the fleet, and use large magnetic fields to deflect charged particle beams back at their sources.

That's all for now

------------------
Seen on a Claymore anitpersonell mine: "Do not eat"
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois

Onii7/Frinkruds and his funky forums
macgamer.net

#34 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2001 - 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Fleet Admiral Darkk:
Drones/Puppeteer - Basically, a puppeteer is a large ship that's devoted to storing and controling drones. The drones are armed with a small laser or two. Their purpose is to either fly over into the enemy fleet and blast sensor windows, stasis generators, and anything else small and vulnerable (think Luke vs Death Star) or to stay with their fleet and blast incoming drones. Drones are as small as possible, and are little more than ion engines strapped to guns. The puppeteer controls them - alternatively, the puppeteer might be all AI-run and break apart into drones.

Also, perhaps there could be some "suicide attack drones" armed with explosives and a little larger than the 'ion engines strapped to guns' type. They'd try to ram the ship, the benefits behind this is that they are easy to produce so there can be a mass assault of them. Also, if enough puncture the hull of the enemy ships, they can seriously cripple it (or perhaps weaken the shields a tad). A creative pilot could also deploy these to cover a retreat, attempting to use the shrapnal from a screen of detonated drones to blind enemy sensors.

The drawbacks to these suicide drones is the fact that they are essentially harmless in a stasis field, being relatively easy to pick off when slowed down. Also, some ships might find a way to counter them, such as drones of their own or mass-spreadfire weapons. Finally, if something was to somehow detonate the drones before they are launched, it could cause severe damage to the ship holding them, but perhaps there is a workaround for this.

------------------
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

#35 User is offline   Joveia 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2001 - 10:02 PM

Originally posted by Fleet Admiral Darkk:
The whole laser dissipation thing really depends on what you want the laser to do. A laser that produces a tiny dot when fired from Earth to Mars could probably cut through a person instantly at ranges of a mile or more.

The laser used to measure between Earth and Mars is not dangerous to a person, except of course the person't retina, but an ordinary laser pointer will be dangerous to that anyway. Heat dissipates quickly, but the actual light is surprisingly cohesive in space.

Also, I'm not sure the hard/dangerous labor caste is needed - couldn't robots do all that with much less expense and bother?

Let's say that with the decay of the empire, robotic technology and maintenance has now decayed as well. Gene-jacked humans are used to fill the gap, though robots are often found in the more important industries of a planet.

About sf's, a stasis field will not be an out-of-the-way weapon used against isolated battleships, but very common. Planets will have stasis fields, most combat ships will as well.

Some new weapon ideas:

Nuke-ton: A thermonuclear weapon that blows up outside the range of a stasis field. The blast cannot be deflected by pd weapons of course and is fairly damaging in it's own right (though slowed by the stasis field.) This might be considered an amoral weapon.

Radon Beam: Radiation has a very long range in space. Ships around the empire are built with radiation deflecting armour as standard, but weaken the enemy's armour at one point and you can flood their ship with radiation. This might also be considered amoral, and I don't think stasis fields would deflect it.

xy

------------------

#36 User is offline   Joveia 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2001 - 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Avatara:
(or perhaps weaken the shields a tad).

Everywhere I go I see shields, shields in sci fi, shields in RPG's, name me one sci-fi game that doesn't have shields!!!

No shields Posted Image

------------------

#37 User is offline   brookeview 

• PipPip

Posted 16 December 2001 - 10:44 PM

Babylon 5

------------------
Listed in the top 15 Ares plugin developers by Brookeview Technologies Worldwide.
[url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/brookeview2/"]Screen shots of upcoming plugins and downloads[/url]
Everywhere but the Macaddict fourms : Brookeview
The guy with no artistic ability what so ever...

Ares plugins to date: Earth's Journey Back To The Stars, Scenario Contest and Cantharan vs. Ishiman.
Ares plugins in development: Star Trek: Ares, Viva La Resistance.

#38 User is offline   Joveia 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2001 - 10:47 PM

But Babylon 5 sucked Posted Image

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joveia (edited 12-16-2001).]

#39 User is offline   Fleet Admiral Darkk 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2001 - 10:51 PM

Everywhere I go I see shields, shields in sci fi, shields in RPG's, name me one sci-fi game that doesn't have shields!!!

No shields Posted Image

Every one which calls shields "armor".
Also, quite a lot of vertical scrollers.

------------------
Seen on a Claymore anitpersonell mine: "Do not eat"
"In literature as in love we are astounded by what is chosen by others." Andre Maurois

Onii7/Frinkruds and his funky forums
macgamer.net

#40 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2001 - 10:52 PM

No shields Posted Image

Oops, forgot about no shield policies here. Guess I'm so used to shields... Posted Image

------------------

#41 User is offline   Joveia 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2001 - 11:39 PM

Just making a list of weapons/techs in the empire. There are 2 technologies in the empire, 'discovered technologies' and theories.

Discovered:

Atomics: Used for nuclear-related weapons (missiles), fusion weapons (torpedoes), used to power ships (fusion reactors) and for plasma weapons.

Quantum: Used for lasers, radon beams, advanced computers.

Electromagnetic: Particle beams (long range weapon, affected by stasis fields, powerful), magnetic fields (deflects particle beams)

Theoritical:

Advanced Quantum: Stasis fields.

Multi-dimensional mathematics: The Jump.

Tachyon Physics: Tachyon detection (makes the Reflection Field possible)

______

Now we have constructed a beautiful weapons model and I want to explain it Posted Image

Lasers: Range: Extreme.
Purpose: Destruction of an enemy's stasis field generators.
Affected by Stasis Field: No.
Deflected by: Reflection Field if frequency is detected (4 second delay). Reflective Armour (military class armour).
Damage: Extremely powerful microscopic sized incisions.

Missile (Standard): Range: Medium
Purpose: Destruction of an enemy ship.
Affected by Stasis Field: Yes.
Deflected by: PD weapons.
Damage: Very powerful area of affect radius, (compact atomic explosion.)

Missile (Rammer): Range: Long
Purpose: Destruction of an enemy ship's stasis fields using incredible acceleration.
Affected by Stasis Field: Yes, but to a limited degree.
Damage: Very compact atomic explosion.

Missile (Nuke-ton): Range: Short
Purpose: To create a nuclear shockwave outside a stasis field.
Affected by Stasis Fields: Yes.
Deflected by: PD weapons (if they can...)
Damage: A large radiation and shockwave spread over a large area.

Torpedoe: Range: Unlimited.
Purpose: Destruction of an enemy ship.
Affected by Stasis Field: Yes.
Damage: Extremely powerful compact fusion explosion.

Particle Beam: Range: Unlimited with comparative inaccuracy.
Purpose: Destruction of an enemy ship/stasis fields.
Affected by Stasis Fields: Yes, but not effectively.
Deflected by: Electromagnetic Fields at anything but short range.
Damage: Extremely forceful particle stream.

Defenses:

Stasis Field: Range 3-10 kilometres around a stasis orb.
Effect: Slows all incoming matter by a factor of 10.
Purpose: To allow PD weapons to destroy all incoming matter.
Counter: Rammers, lasers, particle beams.

Reflection Field: Range 30+ kilometres
Effect: Configures an electromagnetic field to absorb an incoming laser.
Purpose: To protect ships from lasers.
Counter: Fire at a range below it's abilities to detect in time.

Electromagnetic Field: Range 1000+ kilometres
Effect: Destroys the electromagnetic coherency of a particle beam, rendering it a random spread of particles.
Purpose: To protect ships from particle beams at medium+ range (reflects beam)
Counter: Destroy it with non-electromagnetic weapons.

Whew, I hope I don't stuff this whole thing up by typing too much Posted Image

------------------

[This message has been edited by Joveia (edited 12-16-2001).]

#42 User is offline   brookeview 

• PipPip

Posted 17 December 2001 - 12:05 AM

But Babylon 5 sucked Posted Image

I think I liked it better when the post said "You win" Posted Image

------------------
Listed in the top 15 Ares plugin developers by Brookeview Technologies Worldwide.
[url="http://"http://homepage.mac.com/brookeview2/"]Screen shots of upcoming plugins and downloads[/url]
Everywhere but the Macaddict fourms : Brookeview
The guy with no artistic ability what so ever...

Ares plugins to date: Earth's Journey Back To The Stars, Scenario Contest and Cantharan vs. Ishiman.
Ares plugins in development: Star Trek: Ares, Viva La Resistance.

#43 User is offline   Joveia 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2001 - 12:15 AM

Originally posted by brookeview:
I think I liked it better when the post said "You win" Posted Image

Oops, I see I deleted that part when I edited Posted Image

------------------

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users