• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"The Buildup"

#51 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 September 2000 - 11:53 PM

"Where are you going?" Jane demanded as the fighters flew towards the nebula. "Cicion's bar is in the other direction!

The Obiard turned to her, his face totally blank. "We need to get withing transmission range of the fleet."

"What fleet?!" Jane started to get suspicious.

"That is none of your concern. I need to send a transmission to the Admiral first. He will meet you at the bar."

"Who?"

The Obiard ignored her and started mumbling into the microphone. Using her enhanced hearing and some knowledge of the alien language the obiard spoke, Jane was able to understand certain parts of the conversation: "..range...247 by 849 bearing....station...think she knows where...missing half fleet is...yes....yes....We'll meet you there....bar. Trnd out."

He turned to her. "We have found someone who claims to be an aquaintance of yours."

"I have very few 'acquaintances' still alive with the governments out to kill me. He'd have to be pretty old."

"He's ancient. He was a general during the third and fourth Gaitori/Obish wars."

Jane raised her eyebrow. "You don't mean...."

"General Harl'prllr'Swtz of the third primary armada."

Jane had to suppress a gasp. "Swtz?!. Swtz died in battle a long time ago!"

"During the final hours of the Battle for Gaitor, he claims, a torpedo explosion opened a drapson's wormhole, throwing his entire ship and several others towards the Harrapan's Nebula. We found his battlecruiser a few days ago."

"Bring me to him!" Jane commanded.

"That is just what we are doing. Setting a course for Cicion Station."

The two fighters seemed to blink out of existance as they entered hyperspace...

------------------
I do not suffer from insanity
I enjoy every minute of it

-Cantharan Commodore za'Grom
After the capture of Earth
[image removed]

#52 User is offline   Sargatanus 

• Haruspex
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 04 September 2000 - 11:13 PM

Similar to the old tradition, the Auspexes entered the ornate chamber and formed a semi-circle at a table. Although these days, only one figure sat where the line of ministers used to be. The Auspex cabinet was becoming more diversified as time went by; only three of them were Salrilian: Sathin, Lophathid, and Shij. The newcomers were the Phylydion Verad, the Cantharan Cal Sev, the Obiard Kagstz, the Gaitori Gath'Roik, the Bazidanese Dumiar, and the Ishiman Sothos. All of them forming a crescent around Sargatanus.

Sargatanus pulled up to the table and began in what those unfamiliar with the process to be informal. "As usual, let's try to keep this short. I have been fully informed about the events during my absence, so just stick with what has happened since my awakening." He turned to Verad.

"Nothing too entertaining, I'm afraid. The humans keep screaming about a war, Phylydion free-lancers continue to harass the border without retaliation from their government, the Ishimans continue to protest along the quiet parts of the Free Trade Zone, the Gaitori isolationists made three terrorism attempt, all of which failed, and a few resistance cells have been popping up within our protectorate zone of Nijayias territory and are being dealt with.

"There are however, some strange goings on near the Elejeetian periphery. A surprisingly large renegade fleet has been lurking around the nebula and prodding an outpost on an uninhabited planet. There are rumors circulating about the possible discovery of another Verasi-class artifact, but even aside from that, this fleet is just large enough to be a minor threat. My recomendation is that we capture their ships and interrogate them."

Sargatanus shook his head. "Unacceptable. We know almost nothing about them. Dispatch some of your finest recon teams and observe them; learn everything you can about them. For all we know, they could end up doing us a favor."

"Of course, your eminance."

"Shij, what is the status of the Sisircahad [the Ring] imigration?"

The old Salrilian arched up slowly and cleared his throat before he spoke. "The sites for cities, industry, and farming are completely mapped out, and we have imported 87.43% of the resources required for full-scale imigration. The imigration itself is almost non-existant."

Sargatanus raised an eyebrow, and Shij continued: "Our technicians have not yet completed the equipment to open and sustain a permanant jumpgate large enough to move 20% of a homeworlds population. Though we are having much success in alieviating the population within the Salril system: 40% have been transfered to Sisircahad."

"Thank you. Cal Sev?"

The Cantharn stood and gave a slight bow. "I apologize for the delay. It was discovered that a permanant jump gate would be much more difficult to sustain when some 40,000 large transports were passing through. Although we have found a way to solve the problem, we will not be able to complete the modifications for about four months."

"Spare me the details, and be sure to get it done before the Cantharans complain. What is the status on Lucifer's Hammer?"

"The superstructure is completed, as are all of the major systems with the exception of the Zero Point Reverberation Projector, which I am pleased to announce is nearing the end of testing in the Oculus Nebula. With luck, we will be able to implement it within eight weeks."

"Excelent. Well are there any other matters or opinios that need to be expressed before we adjurn?"

Kagstz stood. "In regard to Verad's claim of a large renegade fleet, I would like to bring attention to this intercepted transmission. It was garbled by the nebula and difficult to translate, but you can make out enough information to get the picture."

The recording played mostly static fuzz, and codded obain language. But two words caught the attention of the cabinet: "Swtz," and "Thrz'gei'hol."

Sargatanus scrathed his cheek while he pondered. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Thrz'gei'hol the prototype battlecruiser given to the Obiards by the old Grand Oracular Council?"

Kagstz nodded readily. "It was also the flagship during the third and fourth Obish/Gaitori wars. All ships of that design should have been destroyed or scrapped a long time ago. This one went missing in battle and was presumed destroyed. But its carrier signla was never transmitted, as was standard for all obish ships in that time when they were destroyed."

"Mutiny?"

"Not a chance. The ship was commanded by General Swtz, cinsidered the best and most loyal of all the Obish command to this day, and I don't think I need to tell you about Obish loyalty."

"Well that does change things. Verad, you have a change in orders. Assemble your recon team, and lead the investigation yourself with the Absolution once its repairs are completed. Kagstz, you will accompany Verad with the 22nd and 23rd divisions of the second fleet, to be led by the carrier Cold Crescent at your command."

Both Auspexes nodded, and Sargatanus continued: "Anything else?"

Silence.

"Well in that case we adjurn." With those words, the assembly dispersed in a matter of seconds.

Sargatanus toyed with a communicator for a moment before speaking into it. "Tactical, have the Vindictive prepared for my arrival, and order them to set a course for the Gault system; Cicion Station."

------------------
Throughout their history these "unenlightened" beings have continually opposed and fought abuses of power wrought by their own bretheren. We, as the prophets would do well to learn from these Humans.
-Final statement of the Salrilian reformist Sirthis shortly before his execution.
4 6 3 8 A B K 2 4 A L G M O R 3 Y X 24 89 R P S T O V A L

Shameless advertisement

#53 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2000 - 04:54 AM

Without taking his eyes from the door, Sundered Angel mixes himself a Devil's Breath. He then looks around the bar, smiles at everyone, and, after a swig of drink, spits a foot-long jet of flame.

"You know, there are a lot of people converging on this bar right now" he observes. Taking another sip of his drink, he spits a bolt of fire across the room, which glows brightly until it disintegrates against the far wall.

"This might be a little tense. Anyone who has a particular liking for their limbs, or their life, would be well advised to leave now."

He grins slightly, and resumes watching the door.

------------------
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

Ares Webboard Moderator, and all-around Nice Guy
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

#54 User is offline   Mag Steelglass 

• fogey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2000 - 05:08 PM

A very beautiful woman enters the bar. All male patrons in the bar, with or without dates, look her up and down and keep staring as she makes her way to the counter. "Hey, can I buy you a drink?" say Mag.
She looks away from the three other people that are trying to do the same thing, and is about to start talking when Mag and the three other guys are jumped on by some other male partrons. More and more people join in, and soon the entire bar is in the middle of a bar fight. Even Cicion's droid joins in. Chairs and people alike are flying across the bar with incredible speed...
----------------
"Otmsr, you are cleared to dock with Cicion Station. Have a nice day."

"Thank you, control," said the Obiard a the controls of the cantharan fighter.

"What does Otmsr mean?" asked Jane.

"I do not think it can be translated into English, but the closest word of yours is 'speed.'"

The fighter touched down on the docking pad, and the two headed for Cicion's bar. When they go there, they saw the brawling and fighting, and joined in. Several minutes later, several Salrillians came into the bar, and were caught up in the fighting as well. Still later, Swtz and Slug arrived, and the same thing happened. The brawl was becoming massive, and people kept arriving and joining in...

------------------
"I can ail what cures you."

#55 User is offline   Taeskor Cicion 

• PipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2000 - 05:24 PM

*Chuckles to himself. He leaves the safety of the bar and walks over to Angel's table. A man swings a chair at him, which he dodges and taps in just such a way that the weight and momentum of the chair pulls the man into the wall and down onto the floor. Cicion draws his blade just in case. The action makes people a little more hesitant of attacking him. He finally reaches Angel's table.* Interesting little skirmish, eh? I suppose every bar has to have one every so often to release its tensions. Now, let's see... *Pulls out the control remote for his droid and presses the beckon button. The droid comes to his side.* I just patched this piece of junk together. I won't have it torn asunder- *glances at Angel*- no offense.

------------------
-Traek Cicion of the Taeskor

"Never tell me the odds!"
-Han Solo

"I revived a man in Memphis just to watch him live."
-Anonymous Doctor
-Traek Cicion, barkeep extraordinaire

"PS: If nothing's working around here, it's because I'm laughing so hard."
-Durandal

#56 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2000 - 07:17 PM

The door hissed shut on the executive lounge after the last guards marched through. The room was featureless save for the octogonal table in the center. Swtz joined Slug, who was already sitting down.

"You have saved my life and gratefull, Admiral. However I must ask one final favor of you and your remnants of the fleet."

"This is a pretty serious request, General," Slug began, "You are aware how half the fleet disappeared after a short battle."

"How do you think the Thrz'gei'hol found it's way to this section of space? Watch." Swtz brought up a holomap at the center of the table. "The region we were in was the Orion Nebula. It is well known that that area is laced with time distortions and micro-wormholes that lead nowhere." The view shifted. "We have a similar region called The Dead Planets. It has been seperating Obain and Gaitor for time beyond history."

"The two regions are linked?" Slug asked.

"During the battle for Gaitor, three of their juggernauts broke through our lines. My ship was isolated and was in the process of being cut down when a torpedo explosion widened one of those wormholes. We were sucked through by the gavitational currents, which ripped the juggernauts into atoms. By the time we reached the other side, I was the only one left aoard the ship, solely because I had been hooked up to a life supporter during the battle."

"We were in that exact region." Slug realized aloud. "Could it be possible that Mag's Weapons opened up several of those wormholes that later pulled the the missing half of the fleet through?"

"Yes" Swtz concluded.

"Helm, set a course for the Dead Planets. The Betelgeuse system, maximum fold!"

The half-fleet jumped into omnispace with a wink.

(In case you don't know, General Swtz is a character in Iron Fist)

------------------

[image removed]

#57 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2000 - 11:45 PM

"None intended, none taken." Sundered Angel smiles, deflecting a drunken brawler away from himself.

"If you don't mind, I don't think we can speak in this. Can we go to a backroom?" Cicion nods, and leads the way through the brawl. A dozen meters and two dozen random conflicts away, the two slip into a backroom.

"So, what is it old friend?" Cicion asks, noting that SA is back to his usual self.

"Verad. I've discovered a way to break his links to Sargatanus."

"What? How?"

"Wait a second Cicion, before you report this to the your superiors. This is a dangerous, critically balanced project. I need your help for it- but somewhere above you lies a leak. I cannot risk divulging this plan until I have your word that it stops with you. I need your help- but I need your help alone. What do you say?"

------------------
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

#58 User is offline   Taeskor Cicion 

• PipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2000 - 04:26 PM

*Closes his eyes for a minute.* All right, friend. I'll help you, and not spread the plan to anyone until I ca-" *Frowns.* Wait a minute. *Extracts his sense tendrils from their cheek pouches. Walks casually backwards two steps, and then quickly whips around, drawing and throwing his blade. The knife flies behind a crate and a cry is heard. He walks back and drags a whimpering Phylydion from behind the crate with Cicion's knife in his leg. Withdrawing his blade, Cicion looks into the spy's eyes.* Come on, out with it. How'd you get here? "I'm not talking. Go ahead and kill me." Look, kid, you can either tell me how you got in here or I can kill you in such a way that every second feels like a terrible death, and it takes you three hours to die. *Angel looks at Cicion with a funny look, knowing this is out of character for him. But it becomes evident that the spy only said he would die before talking for dramatics, and he talks.* "The Salrilian-Phylydion Rebellion Alliance has developed a short-range teleporter and a personal cloaking device. The ship I came in attached to the outside of the station and teleported me directly into this room. I then used my personal cloaker to hide my presence." Show me this cloaker. *The spy points to a pile of ash on the floor.* "If it deactivates prematurely, it assumes the wearer has been found and self-destructs, which reminds me..." *The spy suddenly goes stiff, and falls to the floor, dead.* Well, well. A suicide capsule. And also, an automatic one. The Sals aren't taking the chance that their spies will chicken out. *Quickly checks the room for anything else, and finds nothing.* As I was saying, Angel, I'll give you my help. And as for a leak above me, do you have any specific ideas on who it could be?

------------------

-Han Solo

"Then we'll do it real quiet-like."
-Han Solo

-Durandal

#59 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2000 - 06:36 PM

"What do you figure, Commander?" Slug glanced at the viewscreen, showing a veritable belt of debris.

"Sir.... Astromech reports it's the fleet.... Was the fleet, Sir."

"Run a full spectral analysis. I want to know what destroyed it." Slug commanded, his voice showing no sign of remorse for the thousands of lives that had been aboard those ships.

"We.... we have three seperate weapons signatures on these fragments, two of which are Audemedon, the third.... unidentified."

"The Audemedons?! This is the Dead Planets! What would the Audemedons be doing in Obish Space?!"

"Insufficient Data."

"And the third Waepons Signature? Can you get me a reading on it?"

"Not possible"

"I don't care if you have to raid the Oracular Network itself, I want answers, Commander." Slug barked. "Set a course for Salril Prime."

------------------

[image removed]

#60 User is offline   Mag Steelglass 

• fogey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2000 - 07:27 PM

"Battlegroup Alpha Gamma in position," said Mag Steelglass. He had some friends with ships who had some friends with ships who had some friends with ships, and he'd gotten an entire battlegroup together for the defence of the UNS. The fleet was massive. The Elejeetians, Ishiman, Bazidaneze, and Obish had sent in battlegroups to help. Gateships were even sent in. The end result was a very grand fleet. Mag's battlegroup included ships from all races, because independant captains fly many varieties of ships. There were even some Salrillian ships. The rest of the battlegroups gave confirmation that they were in position, and Admiral Grammaticus' voice came on.
"Before we leave, I will quickly review our plan. Our gateships will create several jumpgates to a system directly between Sol and Salril. There, they will act as jumpgate inhibitors, and the Salrillian fleet will drop out of jumpspace short of their destination. We will then take advantage of their surprise and engage them. Now comes the bad news. We have detected Cantharan, Gaitori, and Audemedon ships in their fleet. Our chances for success are 35 that we will win, and 65 that we will lose. If any independant captains do not wish to continue, you may leave now."
A quarter of Mag's battlegroup left.
"We have taken precautionary measures. We have taken all military forces out of mothball, and that should be enough to defend Earth after we weaken our enemies. However, the United Nations of Sol would be crippled. I urge you to perform at peak effectiveness. Earth's future depends on it."
There was a dramatic pause.
"Gateships, create the jumpgates."
On each of the five gateships, green rings formed and lengthened into tubes, which continued on until they could not be seen.
"Fleet, begin transfer through jumpgates."
Mag entered a jumpgate, and checked the total jump time. Five minutes. "Sure beats the heck out of hyperspace..."

------------------

#61 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2000 - 09:12 PM

"Sir, we've got a reading." A security officer stated. "Make that several readings! Holy Crap! There's a whole fleet out there!"

"What?!"

"It's a large battlegroup of mixed ships headed by-"

"Mag Steelglass." Slug interrupted, obviously having worked this out. "Any position as to the location of his Heavy Cruiser?"

"Eight-four-nine by mark Twelve. He's all by himself, the battlegroup is about to emerge behind him."

A large Cantharan security officer came into the conversation. "He's vulnerable. If we attack now we can get him where it hurts."

"Attack." Slug ordered grimly.

------------------

[image removed]

#62 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2000 - 09:36 PM

A wing of enhanced fighters rolled one by one out of formation into a long string of death.

"Engaging weapons." A barrage of laserfire bolted out seemingly out of nowhere, striking the unshielded Heavy Cruiser. One by one, the fighters decloaked, struck, rolled off and cloaked again for another pass.

"Estimated time untill reinforcements?"

"30 seconds. Engage long-range weaponry."

"Roger roger."

Now the flame of death was replaced by rockets. The Rogue easily dodged the rockets and struck several of the fighters flaming out of the sky, however it's damaged shield generators offered little protection to the second wave: the gunships.

Darting between the antimatter blasts, the Rogue seared the undersides of the Cantharan Gunships with it's lepton batteries. Moments later, the battlegroup jumps in.

The fighters, the gunships: all limp back to Slug's fleet. After crippling the Rogue, Slug jumped out of the system, knowing that he had made a bad enemy that day.

Revenge is a dish best served ice cold.
It is very cold in space.....

------------------

[image removed]

#63 User is offline   Mag Steelglass 

• fogey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2000 - 10:20 PM

"This would be a PROBLEM. P-R-O-B-L-E-M. Admiral, could you ge this thing towed back to the repair ships? Meanwhile, could I use a spare fighter?"

"We have a squadron of fighters ready for pilots who lose their ships but not themselves. When we get the Rouge secured with a repair ship, we'll have a shuttle take you over to our carrier with the spare squadron."

"Thanks, Admiral."

"Quite welcome, Mag."

The Rogue got towed back to the repair ship, and Mag took the shuttle to the carrier. About halfway there, the Salrillian fleet arrived. There were ships of all of the Salrillians' allies in the fleet, as well. The fighters and cruisers made a line headed for the enemy fleet, and hundreds of Salrillian Gunships uncloaked all around them.

"It's a trap! All heavy destroyers and carriers, use your superlight boosters to get in there! We can't lose all of those cruisers and fighters!"

Mag finally docked with the carrier. He hopped out of the shuttle, and the pilot flew it away, to carry somebody else somewhere else. He looked at the squadron of fighters.

"What the heck are THESE?!?"

"Angel fighters, of course!" said the mechanic.

"Oh. I've never flown one before. Never actually seen one in combat, either. Could I see thier design specs?"

"Sure. Here ya go." The mechanic handed Mag a QuickDisk. Mag put it in his iPad.

"Hmmm... 600 shields, rapid pk beam cannon, five concussion missiles, fast, maneuverable... Looks pretty good. We'll just have to see."

"These are top-notch fighters. You don't need to doubt that."

"I don't. Thanks for letting me see the specs." Mag got in one, and closed the cockpit window. He fired up the systems, and headed for the battle.

It wasn't going well at all. After the gunships had attacked the cruisers, the enemy fleet had quickly jumped in as well, perfectly in formation and ready for combat. They stayed on the outside and fired in, catching the UNS and their allies in a crossfire. Tractor tugs were extremely busy trying to keep up with all of the disabled ships. He targeted a Salrillian Carrier, and fired off all of his missiles, keeping his distance. It managed to stop one with magno pulse, but Mag didn't mind. He didn't go in further, because trans space bolt rods were one of the few weapons that he couldn't dodge. He decided to attack them from the outside as well, because they were busy concentrating inside.

After about ten minutes, the battle was slipping to the side of the Salrilians, and another jumpgate opened. From it emerged a slightly larger carrier and some light gunships. Then a message came on his screen from one of the new ships...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sargatanus (edited 09-07-2000).]

#64 User is offline   Verad 

Posted 06 September 2000 - 11:09 PM

"This is Auspex Verad of the Prophets of Salril, and the Divine Galactic Axis." Barked the image on the screen. "You have initiated an unprovoked attack on a science and medical fleet en route to Dos Tir to study and treat a large outbreak of the Boodan Plauge, and study spacial phenomena in the Dead Plantes. You have thiry seconds to explain this barbarous attack on a fleet of mercy, and are ordered to cease fire immediately. Your fleet is outmatched, and you will pay dearly for any further hostilities."

Mag's jaw practically hit the floor at the message, and Slug couldn't help but stare blankly.

"Is this some sort of trick!?" Mag demanded.

Slug pulled out of his stupor just in time to respond. "I'm not sure. Ensign,"

"Sir?" Replied an Elejeetian.

"Lock on to the message bouy at Dos Tir and see if they're bluffing."

"Aye, Sir... Data transfering... Data recieved: It's no bluff, Dos Tir has had some 210,000 deaths to the Boodan Plauge."

A chill ran down almost all the spines (or the rough equivlant) in the fleet.

Another message interrupted: "You have twenty seconds to answer."

Slug stammered as another jumpgate opened and the Absolution along with about twenty more ships came through. "We thought you were an invasion fleet preparing to start a war."

Verad reeled back in disgust. "War!? The Divine Galactic Axis has promoted nothing but peace! How can you possibley be so stupid as to allow old social stigma blind you like that?"

Another message come through to conference; it was Kagstz. "How dare you fire on a peaceful fleet!" The Obiard exclaimed as he turned red. "Has the United Galactic Powers Aliance become so prejudiced that they cannot stand for us to treat our own ailed?"

Mag tried to thimk of something to say. "It was a mistake, if you-"

He was cut off by Verad. "A likely story. Quite a well orginized 'mistake' at that."

Slug did his best to calm things down. "Look, if there's anything we can do to help-"

"You've helped enough!" Shouted Kagstz. "The only thing we expect you to do is to withdraw. If you don't, you will be destroyed."

Slig was numbed, and was silent for a moment. Finaly he murmered: "Withdraw."

The crew beagn muttering and protesting.

Slug cut them off. "That's an order!"

Kagstz broke in again. "And you had better hope the Haruspex decides to have mercy on you when he hears of this!" The connection terminated.

After that, both fleets went their seperate ways.

------------------
Verad
Ex-Taeskor and
Salrilian Auspex

#65 User is offline   Sargatanus 

• Haruspex
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2000 - 11:14 PM

[Sorry to cut your story off like that, but it wasn't congruant with my plot at all.]

Shameless advertisement

#66 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2000 - 11:56 PM

Unfazed by the incident with the spy, Sundered Angel continues.

"Cicion, as a Taeskor I know you are honourable. However, sadly, the same does not apply to all within your race, or even your government. Attempt to remove the leak- and you might well find yourself destroyed. Not insulting your capabilites, of course."

He leans forward.

"The situation, as you know, is dire. Of all our enemies, Verad is second only to Sargatanus in power. If we can turn him to our cause, we gain a substantial advantage."

"Verad, and the the others in Sargatanus's elite guard are bound to his will through the process of 'enlightenment'. They do not realise it, but it is an unbreakable bond nevertheless. Or so Sargatanus thought."

"I've discovered a way to break the tie between Verad and Sargatanus. Sadly, I cannot do it myself- Sargatanus seems to be able to sense me when I approach him or his places of power. Nevertheless, I have found the bond which links the two together."

"I need you to travel to the Salrilian homeworld, and find the Temple of Jhsk'Ssavar. Inside, there is a crystal sphere, surrounded by nine crystals, each with something trapped within. The light blue sphere with a hair trapped within- bring it to me. Be very careful- if a single sphere breaks, you will be killed for sure."

"You've committed that to memory? Good. I'll be waiting here. If I'm not here, look where Sargatanus and I last directly clashed."

When Cicion nods, Sundered Angel smiles.

"Thank you Cicion. Once I have the sphere, Verad will come to his senses. Go swiftly, and good luck."

------------------
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

#67 User is offline   Mag Steelglass 

• fogey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2000 - 05:25 PM

Mag reflected on the events that had just happened while on the five minute trip back to Sol. The government had gotten him into this, and he'd make them pay him for his time and reputation being wasted like that. How could they have been so stupid?!? Now their allies were gone, and many ships in their fleet had been destroyed. If the Salrillians DID invade, the UNS would be toast. Unless they did anything the Salrillians didn't predict, which was pretty much not possible. And the Rogue was being repaired, which he'd have to pay for before he could go and get more money with it. He'd have to see what he could do.
----------
"Did everything go according to plan?" asked Sargatanus. Verad stood before him, ready to report on recent events.

"It did. 25.1636% of their fleet was destroyed, another 12.5934%is being repaired, and their allies are considerably upset with them. They are depressed that they have assaulted a medical convoy, and the Rogue has been shown to be beatable. All things considered, we nailed them with your plan."

"Good. And did a sufficient number of medical supply ships survive to help with the boodan plauge on Dos Tir?"

"Yes, Your Eminance. The plauge should be 97.2143% eliminated on Dos Tir. Then we can produce more ships from the shipyards there, and add more to our fleet."

"Speaking of our fleet, how much did we lose?"

"We only lost 2.6535%."

"Good. With your recent victories, Verad, you are almost redeemed. Continue to do this well."

"Yes, Your Eminance."

"You may leave."

Verad silently left, and headed for the Absolution.

------------------

#68 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2000 - 09:18 PM

Slug stood at the large window. His window in his quarters. 'Was that what it was all for?' he thought to himself. 'Four-hundred-eighteen years in training, and all I got was this Admiral's window and a half-missing fleet.'

The door buzzed, signaling someone wanting to enter. Slug ignored it.

'This galaxy has an infinite number of potential courses, millions of potential futures, and the Salrilians know them all. They only do something that gains them something. They only attack if they know they'll win.'

The door buzzed again.

'They're up to something........'

The door slid open and an emergency medical team burst in. "Admiral!" The leader set his eye on Slug. "Admiral? Are you ok?"

"What do you want, chief?"

"Sorry for the disturbance..... we just thought something was seriously wrong when you didn't answer the door....."

"I assure you, chief, I'm fine. Just thinking. What is the current position of the Salrilian Fleet?"

"Entering the Tir system."

"Set a course. I suspect they're carrying more than just medical aid....."

------------------

[image removed]

#69 User is offline   Taeskor Cicion 

• PipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2000 - 12:09 PM

"It's good to see you again, darling," Cicion said as the Radiant Flare pulled up to the bar's dock. The ship had been placed under his command for the current situation. The Primary Armada was also under his control, but not directly. He turned to Angel. "I designed her myself, old friend. She is as good a ship as any flying the spacelanes and many which are still on the drawing board. Fastest ship in the Phylydion Imperial Fleet. It is at my desposal, and, if necessary, yours. There is another force also under my direct command, and they come straight from the Phylydia..." A group of ships exit Omnispace directly behind the Flare. The radio crackles. "This is Jackal Squadron, reporting for service." Cicion smiled, then remembered something else, something very important. "Angel, tomorrow one of the Octicates is coming to the bar. He was originally going to a while ago, but this situation dictates that he must come now. He is the Military Octicate, Drion Nerec.

------------------

-Han Solo

-Han Solo

-Durandal

#70 User is offline   Sundered Angel 

• Invigilator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2000 - 08:22 PM

Sundered Angel nods.

"I'll try to keep an eye on him- though no doubt he will be well escorted. And I won't be needing to borrow your ship any time soon- you've seen the Angels in action, and my personal fighter is slightly tweaked from them."

He looks around carefully.

"Well, I suggest you be on your way- the sooner Verad comes to reason, the better."

------------------
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

[This message has been edited by Sundered Angel (edited 09-09-2000).]
Sundered Angel,
The One and Only

#71 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 September 2000 - 11:33 PM

A pair of Cerberus-class Heavy Fighters shoots accross space, their ion trails leaving a faint but undetectable trail. "Pegasus unit has locked on."

"Roger roger."

"Have you found anything?"

"We have located the Elasi. Repeat: we have located the Elasi."

"The Admiral's command ship?"

"Bingo."

"Engage cloak and move into close range."

"Captain?"

"Do it. If we come back without Slug dead, the Salrilians are going to be very disappointed. Verad is not as forgiving as most Salrilian commanders."

"We're in firing range now."

"Carrier E.N.S. Visigoth is shifting position! They've detected us! Abort!"

Static.

"Wing leader? Abort! Abort!"

Static.

"INCOMING!"

Boom! Static.

------------------

[image removed]

#72 User is offline   Taeskor Cicion 

• PipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2000 - 07:45 PM

The Radiant Flare approached the outer edge of the Salril system, cloaked. "This is as far as the Flare goes, commander," Cicion said to his first officer. "Aye, sir. The Crimson Tear is ready for you." "Thank you, Lieutenant. As soon as I go, take her back to the bar." Cicion walked down to the main hangar of the Flare, and there it was. A small ship, about a third again larger than the Milennium Falcon. It was a full, self-sufficient ship, with a bridge, living quarters, equipment lockers, med bay, mess area, and cargo holds. Cicion had designed it himself. Its weaponry consisted of a heavy double flare bolt turret and two missle launchers capable of holding many kinds of ordnance. They currently were armed with EMP missles. He walked up the boarding ramp, which closed automatically behind him, and to the bridge. He liked the big ship feeling of there being no seats on the bridge, and the Crimson Tear could be either voice or manually controlled. "Engage." The ship's lights came on, and the engines came online. He walked over to the helm controls and manually took her out of the Flare's bay. As he swooped out of the bay, the Flare came about. "Good luck, sir," came the Lieutenant's voice as the Flare jumped into Omnispace. Cicion's small, one-man ship headed out into the Salril system.

------------------

-Han Solo

-Han Solo

-Durandal

#73 User is offline   Slug 

• Ravenous
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2000 - 10:43 PM

"Sir, we've got incoming!" An ensign yelped.

Slug let out a slight groan. Waiting for Mag Steelglass in the Salril system was starting to cost him ships. "More Salrilians?"

"No, sir.... it is a ship of unknown composition.... It appears to be broadcasting a pirate signal."

"Any more info?"

"Advanced weaponry... coming into visual range"

A tiny grey dot appeared on the screen. "Magnify 100."

The screen blinked and then displayed a medium-sized courier. Crimson Tear was neatly painted on it's side.

"He's seen us and is powering shields. We've got a weapons lock, sir."

"Let them make the first move, Ensign" Slug liked playing cat and mouse. It helped him calm down.

The silence between the two vessels was broken as a third ship dropped from omnispace.

"Slug, Cicion, what are you two doing here?!" Mag's voice exclaimed over the intercomm....

------------------

[image removed]

#74 User is offline   Sargatanus 

• Haruspex
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2000 - 11:39 AM

"That's classified." Cicion barked. "Besides, my sensores say we should be in the Salril system now, and there may be ears on us."

Mag responded with slight confusion. "Uh, I don't see anything but space out here and my sensors say the same. Isn't there supposed to, you know, be a solar system here?"

"Sir," an ensign began, "we aren't even detecting a Solar wind."

Slug was visibley concerned. "Nothing at all?"

The ensign shook his head.

Cicion's voice crackled over the radio: "You don't think they can cloak a system, do you?"

"I doubt that." Responded Slug. "We would at least pick up a mass reading." Slug paused. "Come to think of it, we aren't picking up any readings at all from ahead of us. Except..." Slug pondered for a moment, then: "Ensign, do a deep field barion wave scan, folloed by a level five electro-magnetic sweep."

"Aye, Sir." The ensign complied and his fingers flitted across his console. "Barion waves detectd, forming a barrier approximately 140,000 kilometes dead ahead, and extending... as far as the sensors can read."

The bridge was flooded with murmers at the report, then Mag came over the radio: "What does that mean?"

Cicion answered: "The Salrilians use barion waves in their tetra-shields."

The ensign cut in: "EM scan complete."

"On screen." Commanded Slug.

The entire screen was filled. At the very top and bottom were faint trails, suggest blocked solar wind, and in between were brilliant lines forming billions of hexagons.

"Whoa..." Cicion said as he stared at the transmission.

Mag stared blankley. "So.... what does this mean?"

"Well," Slug began, "it looks like we've jumped in just behind the Ring. That would explian why we haven't picked up any readings, and why they haven't sent intereptors at us yet."

"Why the heagons?" Cicion asked.

"Superconductive veins." Slug replied. "At the rate the Ring spins, it generates huge amounts of EM energy. That's how it produces the plasma stream from the star. I assume they also use them as highways on the surface of the Ring."

Cicion then abruptly changed the subject: "Would it be possible to get around this and get to Salril Prime?"

Slug delayed his response. "I doubt it. Why would you want to do that? Oh, and that reminds me; why are you here Mag?"

------------------
Throughout their history these "unenlightened" beings have continually opposed and fought abuses of power wrought by their own bretheren. We, as the prophets would do well to learn from these Humans.
-Final statement of the Salrilian reformist Sirthis shortly before his execution.

Shameless advertisement

#75 User is offline   Taeskor Cicion 

• PipPipPip

Posted 11 September 2000 - 12:28 PM

"Special mission to Salril, Slug. The details are for me to know, and me only."
Slug shook his head. "Well, It's doubtful you'll be able to get all the way to the main planet without being detected. Maybe-"
"One moment," said Cicion. "There seems to be a small patrol coming our way. Tear, charge weapons. Cloak." The Crimson Tear faded away into space and its turret tracked the three Salrilian gunships approaching.
"We've got to be quick about this," Slug warned. they'll attempt to report back the moment they see us."
"Right," said Cicion. I'll leave the first two to you and Mag and I'll immobilize the third for interrogation. Tear, arm EMP missles."

------------------

-Han Solo

-Han Solo

-Durandal

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »