• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Happy Hour 2011

#26 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

Since you complained, that means you're responsible to write a story, right? :D Unless someone else beats you to it, of course.

Milk
Minions
Mine
Martian
Maiden
Manila
Marionette
Motorboat
Mesh
Misrepresentation
I'll become even more undignified than this

#27 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:13 AM

"More milk," Marlene murmured. "My myrmidon minions must imbibe milk."

"Don't dawdle at the dinner table," Marlene's mom, Donna, declared. "When you're done, depart. And don't bring your dolls to dinner."

"They're mine. They march with me."

Her father, Frank, having now finished The Martian Chronicles, flung it down. "Funny footsoldiers, those maiden myrmidons." He had just flown from Manila and was feeling fatigued.

"You 'member my mate Marion? She's got marionettes and motorboats and everything. It's not my fault mine have to masquerade as myrmidons for maximum fun."

Donna looked dejected. "I'm going outside. If you do too, don't walk through the mesh door."

"Watch out," Marlene said. "The floor is magma!"

"That's a definite misrepresentation."

--

Jangly
Febrile
Mark
Apricot
Mayhap
Junction
Sepia
Octave
Novel
Decorated

(bonus words: augury, julep; but if you use them, you have to put them in the right place)

#28 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:23 AM

I think my choice of words was bad, so I'm changing them.

zoom
yearly
xenophobic
whisper
valiant
underpants
tremble
square
revisit
quake

#29 User is offline   Avatara 

• Guardian
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:12 AM

It wasn't supposed to be like this!

Dymas sighed as he saw the green beast zoom past. The yearly Lover's Festival was ruined and it was all his fault!

His people had always been called xenophobic, but now he was beginning to understand that had been for a good reason. Those outsiders just didn't understand the local traffic laws! You can't just go riding a titan through the streets of Cademia! A high-riding beast like that exceeds the height limit allowed for the main boulevard!

"I hope you're happy," he whispered after the girl on the titan.

It all started when the lovely lass had dropped by his father's shop last week, wanting a metal collar to put on her titan doll. Dymas was smitten with love at first sight and he desperately wanted to impress this "Retsy" with the most impressive gift she had ever seen. He made a valiant effort, giving her a real, live titan pet, but now she was rampaging through the marketplace and he just knew his father was going to make him pay for the damage out of his allowance.

As Retsy crashed her titan through the wall of the judge's house, it was all Dymas could do to not soil his underpants. Stone walls for castles were expensive. Just thinking about it made him tremble in terror. A hundred years worth of allowance would not be enough to pay for all of this.

The market square was devastated. Shop carts that had formerly held lovely displays of fresh fruits and flowers now lay broken and trampled. Dymas squeezed his eyes shut, desperately trying to shut out the memory of the rampaging titan obliterating the carefully crafted stalls. It had taken weeks of work from all the merchants to prepare for this year's festival. He didn't want to revisit their looks of terror and astonishment as all of their hard work was blown away.

Sobbing, he fell to his knees in the mud. The rain puddles around him rippled with the force from each quake.

Never again, he swore. Never again would he seek out a girl for the Lover's Festival.

hearth
wanton
rainbow
monotone
fantastic
phantom
disease
anemone
pregnant
enigma
"Sometimes I get confused whether I'm posting on ATT or in the War Room. But then I remind myself: If it's moderators acting scatter-brained and foolish, then it's the War Room*.

*Unless it's Avatara, of course."
-- From the memoirs of Sundered Angel

#30 User is offline   Pallas Athene 

• Lame space monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:23 AM

View PostAvatara, on 15 February 2014 - 04:12 AM, said:

Ugh, they had to go in order? Hold on...

I didn't make the rules, buddy.

View PostAvatara, on 28 August 2002 - 09:01 PM, said:

How's this? One of us will pick 10 random words (out of an American dictionary), and the other will have to invent a short story encompassing them all, in order.

This post has been edited by Pallas Athene: 16 February 2014 - 06:29 AM

#31 User is offline   BreadWorldMercy453 

• Minion #453
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Anemone swam past her friends, who were luxuriating on the hydrothermal vent hearth. It was a popular activity, but Anemone found it insufferably boring. In all honestly, Anemone found life in the mermaid colony in general to be insufferably boring. She thought the strict colony rules were wantonly confining, and didn't allow for many hobbies besides lying around on a hearth.

So Anemone snuck away at every opportunity to spy on The Surface (which was illegal, of course). Anemone saw many beautiful and intriguing things on The Surface. She saw clouds and sunrises, and once she even saw a rainbow! She saw rock clusters and distant land, with jungles and buildings unlike those she knew underwater. But most fascinating of all were the boats. On the boats, lived the Humans. Humans were beasts of legend in the mermaid colony, terrifying heartless creatures with powerful weapons. But from what Anemone saw, they didn't seem all that frightening. The way they talked was weird, without any music to it; but monotone as the humans seemed, the myths about them appeared to be mostly fantastic.

What interested Anemone the most about the humans was how far they travelled. As far as she could tell, they rode their boats from one horizon to the other, without any thought of boundaries. In her colony, breaching a boundary was a serious crime. Anemone began to come up with a plot to run away with the humans.

One aspect of the human legends that Anemone believed was true was that humans hate mermaids. She reached this conclusion because whenever a boat approached while she sat upon a cluster of rocks, flapping her tail and singing greeting-songs, the people on the boat screamed and rapidly turned the steering wheel to change directions.

Anemone concluded that in order to truly run away, she would need to become a human herself. To this end, Anemone snuck away from her colony, past the boundary line, and sought out The Phantom. The Phantom was a mysterious spirit that was known to have powers beyond the mermaids' comprehension. It had in the past transformed mermaids who angered it into polyps, which were then kept in its servitude. It was so feared that its territory had been specifically avoided when laying the boundary line.

Getting to The Phantom's house was difficult because of its violent pet polyps, who attacked her as soon as she got to the gate. Anemone managed to out-swim the polyps and sought safety in the house. She was greeted by a dark shadow that she knew must be The Phantom. The Phantom spoke into her mind.

"Why have you come here?"

"To beg you for help," said Anemone. "Please turn me into a human!"

"You too want an immortal soul?" guessed The Phantom in a bored tone.

"What's an immortal soul?" asked Anemone.

"Nevermind!" said The Phantom quickly. "I could brew a potion that would make you human, sure... But are you certain you wish to be human? It will not be pleasant. You will be plagued with disease, and die a slow and painful death."

Anemone hesitated. "The pleasant life is what I want to leave, isn't it? I would rather have adventure! Yes, I will be become a sickly human!"

"Excellent," cackled The Phantom. "Now there's just the matter of payment for my services..."

"Oh snap, I left my wallet at home," realized Anemone. "Do you take Discover?"

"Absolutely not," said The Phantom indignantly. "You could work off the payment, and be my slave for the rest of your life."

Anemone's eyes widened and she shook her head vehemently.

"Tsk tsk. Alternatively, you do have a pretty voice. You could give me that."

Anemone thought that over. She didn't seem to have much choice, she wasn't sure The Phantom would let her back out at this point anyway; and besides, human voices were so dull. She wouldn't be much worse off than other humans. "Alright," she agreed.

And then she fell into a deep sleep.

Anemone awoke on the shore - on land. Her tongue was gone, as was her fish tail, and she had legs. She did not feel well.

"Are you okay?" someone asked. Anemone turned to find a boy had approached her. She didn't know how to answer that question, so she stayed silent. Actually, it had more to do with her no longer possessing a voice, as evidenced by her inability to answer the boy's follow-up questions. Finally she nodded to affirm that she would indeed appreciate borrowing some clothes.

So Anemone followed the boy home and met his mother, who had a disproportionately large tummy. Anemone had never seen a pregnant human before, and it intrigued her. Mermaid babies grew in eggs. The woman gave Anemone some clothes and invited her to stay for dinner.

Anemone spent the afternoon watching the boy who had found her on the beach. Although he could talk, he spoke barely more than Anemone did. She didn't understand him, he was an enigma. She decided to stalk him.

Thus began Anemone's first adventure.

Promise
Hill
Argent
Confetti
Regret
Iris
Evolution
Decorate
Fragmented
Missive

This post has been edited by BreadWorldMercy453: 02 March 2014 - 04:32 PM